Ceramic top stove

I just got a new ceramic top range. I use a ceramic lined pot to make sauce and an older metal stock pot for boiling bottles to steralize them. It has been an hour and the sauce is done and the $&$%& bottles are still not boiling. I read in the book that came with it that the pot needs to have a perfectly flat surface. WHY??? anyone know??????

its better for the pots to have a flat surface because it makes far better contact. when my mom got one of those stoves, she had to buy some new pots but the old round bottom still worked alright.

idk why the bottles arent boiling. when i made salsa beffore i had the pressure cooker, the mason jars i used would boil in like 30 minutes.

yeah with my old regular electric stove 20 minutes or less and boiling depending on the amount of water. I got them to slow boil so when this sauce is bottled I am off to Walmart to rack get a new stock pot .... for bottles. Glad the ceramic one I use for making the sauce still works. Ease to clean is the only reason I got it and now I see I should have checked for any cons in it's use.

i have a ceramic top stove also - hate it. agree that it seems to take a long time to get anything to boil. i think that it's harder to clean than gas/electric. never again for me. hope that you have better luck than me.

we have been using flat top ceramic stoves for the past 11 years and love them...agreed, the pot/pan has to have a flat bottom with no ridges, lines, etc, but it is worth it...the model I have has an extra large burner for pots/pans that is 12" in diameter and will bring a large stock pot or pressure canner to a boil in about 10 minutes...

i was invited for supper to a couples house last weekend, they have one of the original ceramic stoves made and it was painful to watch the host trying to get a pan hot enough to cook anything....it was a long evening, we showed up at 6pm and left at 10pm with full tummies(because that's how late it was when we got to eating and the kids were getting really fidgety). their oven part has burnt out and they can no longer get the part to fix it. i have to rennovate my 40 year old home and don't think i would replace the traditional ringtop with a ceramic.

i haven't paid attention to new styles of pots and pans but i am going to check it out next time i go shopping, to see if they do make flat style for ceramic stoves.

hope it works out for you.

I think all pots and pans start out with flat bottoms, but get warped when overheated. And unfortunately, from our experience, it's the cheater pans that warp the easiest, sometimes only from a hot stir-fry.

I've put pans on the stove to pre-heat, and forgot to turn the electric burner down....warped pan~~~~ :(

A friend of ours was climbing over the stove for something and put their knee on the glass top, broke it...$$$ to replace....

Aluminum warps. Cast iron does not. Copper bottom SS pots are also da bomb.

Agree with THP-
most non-stick pans are aluminum, CI rocks, copper clad will still warp if on a thin SS pan, heavy SS with aluminum bottoms are good and more $$, which goes back to the last post, less$=more warp.

Yeah my copper-bottoms have those fused pieces. Those rock.

Preheat warped my Oneida nonstick skillet way back, but now all the grease goes to the side while making steak. Well, now it won't and I am going to go pick up a new skillet this next week. A lot of the older stockpots have recessed bottoms which is what I was using for bottle boiling. By older I am referring to the old speckled stock pots.

Today I am going to do some boiling with the new stock pot.

I love the ceramic top stove we have. It doesn't seem to heat up much faster than the old coil stove we replaced, but it sure is easy to clean. I'd love a gas range, but that just wasn't in the cards.

I agree with the above on the more $$ the pans the more difficult they are to warp.

Yeah I got a new stock pot, and the rest of my cookware(even my warped skillet) work fine. Just took more getting used to then I realized it would.

i have a ceramic top stove also - hate it. agree that it seems to take a long time to get anything to boil. i think that it's harder to clean than gas/electric. never again for me. hope that you have better luck than me.

+1 I hate mine too. I can't even use my big pressure cooker or stockpot on it since they are apparently too heavy, and they are bigger than the "burners" causing excess heat into the non burner zones :( I'd check out the recommended weight and size for your particular stove before buying a huge stock-pot

I found my old stock pot has a recessed bottom causing trouble, but then I got the new one(with a flat bottom) and same problem so I called them and was told if covered it will go faster. When boiling bottles I put about 16 quarts in the stock pot which is quite heavy and they were right. Covering makes it boil faster. I never have or needed to cover when boiling or most other cooking, but I will adjust.

Personally I find it easier to clean. I take a soaking wet cloth to it right after when it is still warm/hot. Just use an old cloth until you get used to how quick they can scorch even wet.

Back