• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CFL Temperatures

I have been using the new dual cfl , listed as SUNBRITE ENERGY SAVING FLUORO 250W DUAL 6400K/2700K I am gettimng much better results after changing . I have tried 130w 6400k , then moved to 200w 6400k , the 130w 6400k did not seem up to the job .

I moved to the 200w and things started booming along but after seeing the new 250w dual I bought one as a test and the plants are growing better , less stretching with a darker green than the plants under the 6400k 200w

Kinda interesting... I am a certified thermographer for Flir, and the incandescent makes sense...
http://www.ehow.com/about_6744341_effect-infrared-light-plant-growth.html
But whatever works for you is whats important...

I have been using the new dual cfl , listed as SUNBRITE ENERGY SAVING FLUORO 250W DUAL 6400K/2700K I am gettimng much better results after changing . I have tried 130w 6400k , then moved to 200w 6400k , the 130w 6400k did not seem up to the job .

I moved to the 200w and things started booming along but after seeing the new 250w dual I bought one as a test and the plants are growing better , less stretching with a darker green than the plants under the 6400k 200w
I went with CFL because I am cheap and I did not want to pay the big bucks for a ballast light set up. At $200/ea plus shipping I would have been backwards with those. I spent $27 a bulb x2 bulbs flus the DIY fixture cost me about $20. Why not go with a T5 ballast setup, or even a LED set up at that price?

I went with CFL because I am cheap and I did not want to pay the big bucks for a ballast light set up. At $200/ea plus shipping I would have been backwards with those. I spent $27 a bulb x2 bulbs flus the DIY fixture cost me about $20. Why not go with a T5 ballast setup, or even a LED set up at that price?

I use the CFL globes because they work for me , no heat , that is a problem in the grow room .

All plants are looking fine , it was not because of economics I chose CFL , I use them in the grow rooms to boost things along. I have more than 100 plants outside for chilli production only . I have 16 plants in grow rooms in my house , this is to ensure pure seed from my plants , for which I must thank Novacastrian for and for his generosity I will be returning 100 seeds to him and releasing 200 for free here for postage price ( but not until grown :-) )

It is going a bit overboard I know but that is the way I do it and have done for years. I am more than 3 miles from the closest house and only grow 1 variety but I like to do it right . I will in the next few days start a grow log of my plants under cfl in soil . at 2m high the grow tent does not allow much room . 3 weeks from germination my plants are at 7-8cm with approx 8-10 true leaves under 250w dual band cfl's in soil, they even outgrow the plants in my poly hothouse , double the size in fact , same soil , same nutrients

I have also been down the led road , do not beleive all the hype they do not work , ufo's , light panels are all crap leading to stretched light green sickly looking plants

small grow rooms require CFL due to the heat factor of MH and HPS lighting , they work and I have been down all different lighting roads over the years the best growth ever is what I am getting now in a 1.2m x 1.2m growroom with 4 plants and 1 x 250w cfl

How are things going with the cfl lights? It's been a couple of weeks now :) My other plants grew to big to keep under the light, they are getting regular light now but the pods are still growing and more came after that one. The Numex Twilight is still under the cfl light and they both are making some pods and alot of flowers.

Butch T's in my growtent ,it is 1.2m x 1.2m running 1 single 250w cfl dual band , these are at germination + 5 weeks.

The large leaves are approx 13cm long and 10cm wide .

Had a problem in the last 9 days they were playing with our water supply here unknown to me and when I checked the water ph it was 8.9 making the leaves lighter and slightly crinkled . I flushed the plants yesterday so hope everything is fine . here are the pics anyways

DSC02184.JPG

DSC02185.JPG

Sort of proves the point about the cfl lights , especially the lack of heat is a + growroom is around the 27c mark which is a good temp , humidity does not seem to be a problem .

As for the stretching I even moved the lights up to encourage some upward growth and stretching the plants are approx

30 cm wide but would be no taller than 10cm, they were doing much better before the PH problem.

I open the room door while the lights are off at night and have a fan blowing on the plants when it is dark , although I will have to get a small desk fan for the room to run 24hrs at flower time for pollination

Thought I would add a new reply to this . I was just checking the thread and looked at the pic I posted 6 days ago .

Since flushing the plants and watering with nothing but rainwater the plants have put on at least 25% in those 6 days . I hope the pics ddoes it justice , again 250w dual band cfl in a growroom , plants are in premium potting soil no special additions

Still have the crinkly leaf problem I am hoping it is a carryover from the high ph water as the plants outside are doing the same thing so it is not grow room related anyways. I am open to ideas

DSC02186.JPG

DSC02187.JPG

Don't know about the leaves maybe calcium def? They sure have grown lots in six days mate thats awesome!

Damn, they almost look like lettuce, those big leaves. I had to remove my plants because they've grown to big for the small temp setup I had. The pods that the plants got during their time under the light are fully grown now and I'm waiting to till one gets ripen off :) I have a naga morich and cayenne purple growing in it now.

Damn, they almost look like lettuce, those big leaves. I had to remove my plants because they've grown to big for the small temp setup I had. The pods that the plants got during their time under the light are fully grown now and I'm waiting to till one gets ripen off :) I have a naga morich and cayenne purple growing in it now.

I bought my grow tents , most impressed with the 250w cfl and the growth . I have moved the light up to see if I can gain some stretching but not really a concern at the moment. maybe in a few weeks may have to look in a bit of a leaf trim although that would probably encourage more side growth rather than the upward growth I am looking for.

They are just growing in premium potting soil , no additions to the soil at all , I have fertilized once with chilli focus and that is about it. I keep them rather dry and all seems good. Growth is great . winder what they would have looked like in NFT? although I cant think a plant can grow much faster than these are.

I will post update pics every 7 days or so .

Back