• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chachie 2015 Outdoor Extravaganza

Hey all! It about that time.  Just placed my seed order with baker creek last night.  Big changes coming to our garden this year, mainly in the form of combating gophers and weeds and making the garden a little more self sustaining as i only get over to it about once or twice a week.  But anyway, on to the good stuff.  Heres the list:

Bhut Jolokia
Criolloa De Cocine
Caribbean Red Hab
Anaheim
California Wonder
Yellow Monster
Shishito
Arroz Con Pollo
Chocolate Hab
Emerald Giant
Craig's Grande Jala
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Midnight Dreams Bell
Horizon Bell
Peach Hab
Miniature Yellow Bell
Sweet Chocolate
Cayenne Long Thin
Reaper
Scorpion
Hungarian Goat Horn
Pepperoncini
Moa Scotch Bonnet

There will also be a few randoms in 3 gal pots, such as the Thai Dragon(M) x Hungarian Goat Horn(F) that i crossed last night, should be mature and ready to plant early spring(if the cross pollination took). 

The entire garden(30x60) will be covered in 4.1oz weed block. Our soil is all adobe clay and, 1. holds moisture like a sob, and 2. once weeds set in it, youre not getting them out till winter.

ALL plants will be going in 5 gallon fabric pots with FFOF soil.

Well I think I have the final layout done!  Managed to squeeze in about 10 more plants.  :dance:

4OaMTL1.jpg

cKY5vmH.jpg

AJToXlO.jpg

mr5T82e.jpg

NJEYp7Y.jpg

Thank You!  My garden space is at my parents farm, and I am now grown and out of the house, but still love my garden.  Making a plan and list like this makes it very easy for me to just hand a copy of this to them, say "This is whats ready, this is what isnt. This is hot, this isnt. Have at it."

Plot is ready for weedguard and then irrigation.  Spend the day grading it yesterday, may even run a vibraplate over it to make it a little more even.

IpltC1g.jpg

Finished my mini greenhouse for germinating.  No more room in our condo, so seeds will have to be germinated outdoors in the garden.  Going to have them in this and then have heat pads under the solo cups.  Nights here have been down around 40-45, so hopefully this will work out ok.

8KIcSr0.jpg

Sorry for potato pic.  It is 4' x 2', the base is about 8" tall.  Should be tall enough to allow a bit of growth from solo cups. All for about $25.

Good news and bad news...Bad news is I overbuilt a project, yet again.  good news is i should be able to start seeds year round outdoors with this thing, haha.

Took the 4'x2' frame i made and insulated it on all 4 sides and the bottom with reflective insulation.  In the center is a ceramic bulb mount on a box for a 125W infrared heat lamp.  there will be two fans installed on one end and a baffled passive intake on the other.  the fan will be on a controller that powers them if temps get above 90*.  The bulb will be on the same system if temps drop below 65*.

The total size is 4'L x 2'W x 10"T.  Height at the peak is 21".

b2hC7GV.jpg

1kJmpJv.jpg

YfQde1K.jpg

7ODjxgU.jpg

gaSKRgO.jpg

U8voRb1.jpg

4TNXE6u.jpg

Great looking germination setup, hope you post some more pics when it's all complete.

Nice grow list, good luck and keep those pics coming.

Well ive made some progress and figured it was time for an update!  Got my soil today and got all the pots filled! Not to mention, got the green house filled a couple weeks ago, and things have really taken off! The soil is North County Bounty - SoCo Blend, pics of the mix included.  Only got half the pots in place before the rain started on us, the center row and other half will be placed on weds, weather permitting.

VbDs4hv.jpg

qWh9XrK.jpg

tPuQmiM.jpg

UMuCZNt.jpg

Looking at the green house pic above, and then these, it is amazing what a couple of days of full sun will do.  I went through on wednesday and shifted tings around a little.  I only have 5 cups that havent sprouted yet.  A few that come to mind are peach hab, chocolate hab, and MOA scotch bonn.  But i rearranged so that the unsprouted cups got the most sun, and close to the heat at night to see if i can give them a little helping hand.  But 83% germ outdoors seems pretty good to me.  Ive been pre planning in the event that the others dont pop, already sprouted a second jalapeno, and will be doubling up on a couple others later this week depending on how things go.

Here is the tray of strong / fastest sprouting seedlings

b1n6X0T.jpg

This purple coty Chinese 5 Color has me very intrigued...the other two that sprouted were green...

1N0OxiL.jpg

And the tray of slow starters

KgMTxjJ.jpg

Annnnnnd my toms!

ceroLdl.jpg

Update! think its finally time to put out the sweets/bells!  Hots have about another week or two to grow a bit more.  Seeing a little stress here and there, but im guessing its d/t the FFOF having a bit of nutes in it.  The first sets of leaves are showing a little odd on some, but by the second set, they straighten out.  Greenhouse is doing its job amazingly, just refilled the back half of the greenhouse with our flat of corn, broccoli, bush and pole beans and herbs.  Toms are already in the garden and planted and enjoying life!

7oMqlEE.jpg

Cant even hardly see the pink tiger in there! (3rd over, 3rd down)

CzV2czS.jpg

The friend munching and i have come to an agreement...he may stay till they go outside, but he is not allowed to invite any of his friends.  They will all get an IB spray as they go into the garden.

0THromZ.jpg

Corn starting to pop up!

PZlauxY.jpg

Beans, herbs, and broccoli in the back

CFtlXYt.jpg

Back