• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Changing nute type in hydro - bad idea?

Siv

Extreme Member
The first nutes I bought was a bottle of Dynagro 7-9-5 and I've used it for pretty much all my plants so far. It's pretty expensive though so I bought some masterblend, cal-nitrate and epsom salts and have them ready for the future. My problem is that I'm almost out of Dynagrow - I probably have enough for another 10-5 5-gallon kratky buckets but that's about it. I'm going to have about 15-20 5-gallon buckets and the plan is to use a large 32 gallon (or larger) trash can as a master reservoir controlled with a float valve to maintain 2-3 gallons of nutes in each bucket.

So my question are:
- If the buckets are all currently filled with Dynagrow but they're manifolded to a reservoir with masterblend, the nutes will mix slowly over time until there's probably only masterblend left. Is this the best plan?
- Should I ditch the dynagrown and re-fill everything with masterblend?
- Will changing the nutes shock the plant? Is this bad and should I just buy more Dynagrow?

Hello, I know its a very late reply but draining the dynagro and filling the reservoir with water just for a couple days to flush the old nutrients out of the system and kind of resetting the plants back to neutral will help.Then after a couple days or so adding the master blend will help the change over. I've done this with different nutrient brands and has worked well for me.

Nice to hear your experience. It's been a while since I posted that but in the intervening years, I have also started my seedlings with dynagrow or CNS and transitioned to masterblend once they're established. It seems to work OK, even when mixing the nutes.

Back