• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chapeu du Frade / Bishops Crown?

Don't know the Chapeu du Frade, but have the Bishop's Crown. According to your link, I would say is not the same thing.

I grew Chapeau de Frade, Ubatuba Cambuci and Bishop Crown bf and I believed they are all the same;  maybe in different languages.
The first probably French, 2nd Italian and 3rd English I guessed

I believe bishops crown and chapeau du frade are the same. The Brazilian starfish is completely different in flavor and shape. Brazilian starfish is Wayyy sweeter and fruitier but bishops crown has an amazing flavor too

I grow the Chapeau de Frade as I like its taste, I think it is one and the same with the others excluding the Star Fish pepper as they are completly different peppers,  they do make a good pickled pepper as you can pack a ilot in a quart jar. THe Chapeau makes a good pickled pepper also, it has just enough heat around the seeds to give it alttle bite, my grand daughters likes them pickled with Okra pods. I use extra pods to blend in with my super hot powder to give it a little more sweetness.

wildseed57 said:
I grow the Chapeau de Frade as I like its taste, I think it is one and the same with the others excluding the Star Fish pepper as they are completly different peppers,  they do make a good pickled pepper as you can pack a ilot in a quart jar. THe Chapeau makes a good pickled pepper also, it has just enough heat around the seeds to give it alttle bite, my grand daughters likes them pickled with Okra pods. I use extra pods to blend in with my super hot powder to give it a little more sweetness.
Would you mind posting your pickled peppers/okra recipe?

Hi I, use a basic cold pack method For two quarts of mixed peppers and okra I wash the peppers and Okra and cut slits in the peppers and young tender okra and pack as many peppers and okra as I can in each jar then I add a couple cloves of Garlic and a slice or two of onion with a tablespoon of salt and a teaspoon of coarse cracked black pepper for each quart jar I just add this to each jar, but you can add it to the water and vinegar and bring it to a Boil. I use a 1 cup of vinegar to 1 1/2 cup of water which I bring to a boil before I pour it into the Jars that are packed with peppers and okra. I seal the jars with good clean canning lids and set them where they can rest till the jars are cool then I put them into the Refrigerator for at least two weeks before using.  I like using the wide mouth jars as it easier to remove the okra and peppers. You can also add more salt or vinegar depending on how salty and sour you like them.
I think that there is a section on pickling in the Sauces and cooking forum. Also you can try fermenting them like you would Kimchi which is also covered in the cooking forum.
Also most big food marts carry pickled Mixes that have everything in them already My grand daughters love sweet pickled peppers and okra over the salty sour mix.

here are pics of chapeau de frade that i grew a few years ago, don't think they will make my 2015 grow list that i am planning but you never know. the pods are nice to look at and tasty. sounds like brazilian starfish is a tasty pepper too.

Back