• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Charleston pepper fail

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've got a bunch of different peppers growing, (Scotch Bonnet, Bolivian Rainbow, Tepin, Jamaican, Trinidad Scorpion) and all are doing fine except for this Charleston pepper. It was basically all yellow for awhile, I thought maybe drainage was a problem so I replanted in better draining soil and started giving it cal-mag... It's getting a lot greener, but it started developing yellow buds that break off to the touch. Right next to it my Scotch bonnet is flowering and looks perfect... I'm debating just tossing this plant and starting over with the charleston... Do you think it will come around, and any idea what could cause this? I know over-watering would be the obvious one, but I only water when the leaves start to wilt. in the close up picture you can see an example of the pathetic little yellow buds this thing was producing. I've got a HOt5 with four 4' bulbs, and also using my saltwater LED which is full spectrum and good for corals, so figured why not... the temp is around 85 during the day, and 70 at night at 50-60% humidity. All my other plants are thriving... I'll attach a pic of the scotch bonnet too. The burnt tips where from the light, it grows so fast if I don't pay attention the tips get too close... Thanks

2gyc4ut.jpg

262bcyc.jpg

2qme0cg.jpg

Nice plant! Cool dude up there in Anchorage named Shawn Klemmer. Eats tons of pods. Alaska FTW!!!!

Cool, thanks for the welcome. So you are saying there's a chance! I'll give it a few weeks to see what it does... 

I grew Charlestons for the first time this year and they stayed very light in color but they must not like cooler weather cause they all look bad the last few weeks. I wasn't overly impressed with them and probably won't grow again.

Oh and welcome from TN

I had bud drop for over a month.  This is a list someone else posted, but there are lots of reasons.  Mine was probably a combination of heat and lack of airflow / bees for pollination.  I moved them to a slightly more shady area of the yard and touched the backs of all the flowers with an electric toothbrush.  Pollination Central!  I had pods galore within a couple weeks.

It looks nice and healthy.  Keep it around even if it doesn't pod up soon, it might surprise you.

M

Back