• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Charlie carp vs worm juice

I watched the video's 1 to 5 on how to grow the worlds hottest chillies by Marcel (the chilli factory) and he mentions using both worm juice on one experimental plot and Charlie Carp on another. Since then we have all seen the results of the amazing worm juice (hence I've started my own worm farm), I am keen to know how the other part of the experiment went. I can't find a ref anywhere about the results of Charlie Carp on his chilies. Does any one know?

In case no one knows what I'm on about. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRhltSqMh2M&feature=related

If i still had his number in my phone i would call him up and ask! Alas my phone went for a swim in the Pacific ocean! :rofl:

If i still had his number in my phone i would call him up and ask! Alas my phone went for a swim in the Pacific ocean! :rofl:
Arggh that sux. If you need a phone, I have a box of HTC touch smart phones at work as we now use Blackberry handsets.

Now back to topic....an the winner is......Worm crap!!!!

Gave him a ring myself after looking up the the number on the website. He was very very helpfull with tons of advice. Charlie carp is alright, but worm juice is way better. He also gave me some advice on pruning, apparently my chillis are little bit sad because I haven't pruned them for winter (he prunes his back every winter).

Yeah i prune mine back too, he is a likeable guy for sure.
Nowww about these phones, i use an experia now it was my old phone that went for a swim! HOWEVER i would be eternally grateful if you sent me one of those HTC's, my girlfriend has been wanting a smart phone for ages but if you don't sign a contract they are BS expensive!

Yeah i prune mine back too, he is a likeable guy for sure.
Nowww about these phones, i use an experia now it was my old phone that went for a swim! HOWEVER i would be eternally grateful if you sent me one of those HTC's, my girlfriend has been wanting a smart phone for ages but if you don't sign a contract they are BS expensive!
Too easy, when I get back to work on monday, I'll grab some and send em.

Excellent! You da man!
If you would like pm me your address and i will send up an express post bag.

Worm juice. Is that a tea made from worm castings or the juice collected as a run off, worm pee if you like?

Yep. All good stuff here. That's the way I run my garden. Raised mounds, covered, and drip irrigation with organic injection system. I like that coffee can method for holes though, I use that method on kick drum heads to create port holes. Never thought of that for the ground cover material though. Good stuff. :)

Worm juice. Is that a tea made from worm castings or the juice collected as a run off, worm pee if you like?
When you wet your worms, the run off is collected. If there well fed and busy, the run off will be an excellent dark brown colour.

When you wet your worms, the run off is collected. If there well fed and busy, the run off will be an excellent dark brown colour.

You NEVER want to use that run off on your plants. That's not "worm tea" it's called Leachate and is harmful and toxic.

Leachate contains phytotoxins (toxins that can harm plants). Some of these toxins are created by bacteria. Not all bacteria are good. Some leachate can contain harmful pathogens.

When you ad fresh food to the worm bin it starts to break down and goes into a mesophilic process. A mesophile is an organism that thrives in temperatures between 70-104 degrees Fahrenheit. So the bin heats up quite a bit allowing these organisms to multiply exponentially until it can cool back down. Any temperature above this range would then be called a thermophilic process. "Thermophiles" begin to multiply between 105-170 degrees Fahrenheit. These are good temperatures to have in a compost pile outside. It kills off harmful pathogens.

The worms move through the compost allowing for greater aeration bringing in more oxygen to the compost. This allows the good organisms to thrive, but Generally, during these higher temperatures, the worms stay away from the decaying matter until it has cooled and stabilized enough to allow the worms back in. This instability is usually accompanied by a smelly or foul odor. This is a great sign that indicates that the bin in that particular area is teaming with the bad organisms until they have a chance to pass through the gut of a worm.

What you want to do is take some of the worm castings and brew it to make worm tea. Brewing basically feeds all the beneficial bacteria so they multiple into the millions and then you spray that on your plant and or apply it to the plants soil.

Back