• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cheap dirt?

well i mainly use miracle grow's cactus mix, but it can get a lil expensive...
anybody know of any cheaper potting soils that i could use as a filler, and mix with the cactus mix, that i can trust not to have any infestations?

look to a local recycler near you (if you have one)...

like this one down here in Texas...

http://www.silvercreekmaterials.com/

I use this product in conjunction with standard potting soil...

Premium Soil Mix ($20.00/yard)
Silver Creek Materials offers one of the finest soil mixes available. This soil is carefully blended to produce optimum plant growth. Our #1 selling premium soil mix consists of a screened blend of compost (60%) and the purest cushion sand available (40%) to add stability to the blend. This blend is best used in establishing new gardens, flowerbeds and leveling lawns. It also works well in establishing new lawns, spreading a four-inch layer before installing sod. Premium Soil Mix is a good substitute for topsoil and unlike most topsoils, it is 100% free of weed seeds. Our mixes are consistent year in and year out - you always know what you're going to get when you order Silver Creek Soils. Although the soil is rich in organic matter and nutrients, it remains necessary to maintain proper soil fertility through a regular fertilizing program.

well i found a compost facility that's not far from where i live...they'd proly have that type of stuff right?

//edit//
called em up, and they said they giveaway compost and mulch
no soil mixes...

i don't know much about composting
but the guy said "as for what's in the compost depends on whatever people drop off, like grass from their lawns, ect."

If it's composted properly, it should be relatively free of unwanted seeds. Proper composting will 'cook' *most* of them. My experience is...not all. But if it's done right, you should have a great product there, assuming no nasty pollutants make it into the mix.

If it's composted properly, it should be relatively free of unwanted seeds. Proper composting will 'cook' *most* of them. My experience is...not all. But if it's done right, you should have a great product there, assuming no nasty pollutants make it into the mix.
LOL, popcorn.

Go to a local greenhouse/nursery. Use what they use. Often they will have their own "special blend" that you can pick up pretty cheap. I do not like to compost until the plants go in the ground.

Be careful with some of these recycling/compost places. A lot of them spray chemicals on their compost piles to heat them up and make them compost quicker. They also use "biosolids" which is sewage sludge. It contains human waste. Human waste can be a good fertilizer once it's composted, but you never know what else is mixed in with those biosolids. Chemicals, medicine, etc..

Along US 52, between Ripley and Higginsport OH, is a road that I reckon use to have some relevance to gardeners, though the area is all farm area. It is called Free Soil Rd. Even the old timers don't know why it was named that, though long after it was named, they did offer free dirt. The county would excavate places for roads or building, dump it along the road and let anyone grab it.

I had to fill in about 30 cubic yards in my backyard from where I had dug out room for an inground/above ground pool. I hauled it from a cemetery, a little over a yard at at time.

Mike

Back