• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cheap DWC Project

I've been using a small, cheap dwc made from a coffee container. This one seems to work well. I noticed after cleaning out the first batch, a little algae in the corners. The plastic is pretty thin, and probably lets a little light in. Covering it would help, or just switching out with a clean one every so often. Here's a video I made over the weekend describing the materials and process used. 
I've posted some about it here and there on my glog.

uBeAVaQl.jpg

n2og1sll.jpg

7sLPFYml.jpg

MRpeabody said:
Pretty sure I'll be setting one of these up tonight for a Caribbean Red I overwintered. Thanks for the video.  
Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty easy to put together. You can make one out of pretty much anything. I have another one going with a 3" net pot in a Member's Mark (Sams club) laundry gel pack container. It has a Jay's Ghost Peach in it.

8LjT08jl.jpg

This will be my first DWC project. You had mentioned in the video that such a small reservoir wouldn't be able to support those four plants indefinitely. If you only had one plant how long would this be a viable setup? Does the size of the root mass or the size of the plant determine when it should be moved to a larger reservoir?

Thanks in advance

MRpeabody said:
This will be my first DWC project. You had mentioned in the video that such a small reservoir wouldn't be able to support those four plants indefinitely. If you only had one plant how long would this be a viable setup? Does the size of the root mass or the size of the plant determine when it should be moved to a larger reservoir?

Thanks in advance
I'm a newb as this, but I think it would be impractical long term for something like a monster Chinense, but a smaller plant might do fine. I'm planning to make another one out of a similar size container and will try it. I'll post the progress on my glog.

I was thinking that something like this wouldn't work for a Chinense. I have a never ending supply of food grade 4 and 5 gallon buckets with lids so I'm going to try a few or each size with various strains this year. Maybe I'll follow your lead and start a GLOG.

Thanks for quick reply

oldsalty said:
incredible Peter !!!! Great vid and excellent instruction :)
Thanks for posting. Didnt realize how easy that was gives me confidence to try my hand at it! :)
Thanks Brother
Thanks! 

MRpeabody said:
I was thinking that something like this wouldn't work for a Chinense. I have a never ending supply of food grade 4 and 5 gallon buckets with lids so I'm going to try a few or each size with various strains this year. Maybe I'll follow your lead and start a GLOG.

Thanks for quick reply
No problem. I do have a Big Black Mama and a Jamaican Hot Choc each in a 5-gal bucket setup. So far those are doing great.

Here's a shot of the roots from my BBM in the 5 gallon.

jz7IEldl.jpg

Back