• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Cheap greenhouse

Alright, I believe that my peppers are NOT getting enough light because the main stem is to weak to hold up the leaves, "top heavy". Because of my lay out in my house and how crowded that it is they only get from 3 pm till the sun goes down at 6-7ish? I know that is not near enough for the peppers. So, my solution to this problem and to get the "hardning" that I need in order to plant them out side sometime in the neat future is to put them in 2 cheap clear 3 story high greenhouse that I picked up from Lowes so that they can get the appropriate amount of light to properly grow. Is this going to burn the crap out of them? I cannot stay at home to take care of them through the week to put them in and out to harden them. Need some help on how to properly do this. I really hope the greenhouse's will work for me. Thanks for any info that is given.

I just spent 50$ on 2x2s and 6m plastic and built a 5x8 green house. With a wood frame your design is only limited by your imagination.
You can always add shelf's anywhere you desire. As for heat, you can add a fan or vents to keep it cool or even a layer of shade cloth. I just didn't put a door on to mine yet because I live in a warm area, but as soon as winter comes Ill just build a door really quick.

I made mine with a nice slant in the roof that drops in to a gutter that is routed to a 5gal bucket to save rain water. I am really diggin' the green house so far

... 2 cheap clear 3 story high greenhouse that I picked up from Lowes so that they can get the appropriate amount of light to properly grow. Is this going to burn the crap out of them? I cannot stay at home to take care of them through the week to put them in and out to harden them. Need some help on how to properly do this...

I've got a little portable plastic greenhouse and also made a 'hoop house' with opaque plastic. I think they work great for partially hardening the plants, but you really have to watch out when there is direct full sun. Temps can go beyond 100F in a couple minutes, So I provide full ventilation and also move plant trays around.

With your clear plastic and not able to adjust things during the day, I'd keep it in the shade. You'd still get some benefit from muted natural sunlight and begin the hardening off process.

IMG_2865.jpg

If you have hardened plants put them on the top shelf. But never seedlings. On hot days I also zip up half way...

Pretty interesting that I got one exact same as those small grow tents here in Norway. I had quite some trouble with keeping the temperature right, keeping the zipper closed would steam the plants. Was a lot of manual work, having to keep an eye on them every day at least. Love my full scale greenhouse with automatic window openers, so convenient but certainly not cheap.

Picture of it(Last years spring)
saltrod%20lite.jpg

Back