bottles-jars Check out these new Flip Caps I am using for my glass BBQ bottles

flip1.png

Here's the new flip-cap (I call it a PugNose Flip Cap for fun)

flip2.png

There's a secondary tamper evident pressure seal under the lid.  Tear off the shrink band, unscrew the lid and remove the seal, replace the lid for a nice pour, a restriction on flow (if you have loose sauce, it works wonder) and a no-mess pour spout.

flip3.png

Here's a closeup of the tamper evident pressure seal.  It holds it's own, even shaking the bottle upside down quite vigorously when tested.

flip4.png

Here's another look at the lid.  It's about 3/16" to 1/4" taller than a standard lid and the hinge seems pretty sturdy.

flip5.png

Here's a side-by-side between the flat cap and the PugNose Flip Cap on our Molten Gold bbq sauce bottles.  The height is only increased slightly, and the knobby end looks a bit better than the flat top.  These are a 28 ct size cap in gloss black.  Going forward, our product packaging will always include this feature.  It's too good NOT to use... especially when the brown sugar gets caked up on the threads of the bottle and drips down the neck, making a sticky mess over time.  Shake, flip the lid, pour, snap it back, done.  No fuss, no muss.

Thanks to Endorphin Farms for picking this item up so we could use it.  It's already made a world of difference in convenience for such a simple change in packaging.

Hmmm I'd think those would work best on plastic/squeeze bottles. If thick this can be an issue. Picture glass ketchup bottle with this lid. For thin I guess it's good! Must be kinda thin.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great for thicker sauces. 

Huh? Bottle is glass.

Oh. Still... but okay... it's a mustard BBQ, so am thinking, why put it? Just my opinion Ish.

Hey if you tested and it works cool. But I have no problem unscrewing Q sauce.

I should show you the sample bottle used at the show after 20 minutes of pouring samples.  It's all knobbed up and dripping down the bottle.  One of the biggest feedbacks I get from buyers is it pours way too fast, and too much comes out and the threads get all messy.

I can confirm this because I put bottles out at our facilities cafeteria.  All 6 bottles within a few days are completely caked up with bbq sauce on the lid/threads and drips down the bottle, which get sticky and leaves marks on the table.

These caps leave 0 drips.  Provided no one drops the bottle, they won't break easy either.

For plastic bottles, I would suggest an extrusion method, not a pour spout.  The pour spout is because you can't squeeze the glass bottle to put pressure behind it.  Plastic extruders are essentially a plastic anu-... well, you get the idea.

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh. Still... but okay... it's a mustard BBQ, so am thinking, why put it? Just my opinion Ish.

Hey if you tested and it works cool. But I have no problem unscrewing Q sauce.

Molten gold (from the surveys I did) is almost 50/50 used as a salad dressing as well as a bbq sauce it seems.  The pour spout came from this product as inspiration, and I jumped on it when I got feedback on drips/messy bottles and too much sauce coming out of the bottle on the pour:

large.png

some of their products have flat lids and the looser ones have pour spouts which gave me the inspiration.

When my rib sauce comes out, it's quite thick.  I can't do a pour spout.  It would become clogged.

Sam & Oliver said:
Molten gold (from the surveys I did) is almost 50/50 used as a salad dressing as well as a bbq sauce it seems.

That seems odd to me. Did you suggest they try it on salad first? If you handed me a mustard BBQ sauce and asked me to try it, and then surveyed me, salad would never come up. If you told me to try it on what the label suggests, that is a bit leading, as not many are going to do that off of the label, or go to the BBQ aisle to discover new salad dressings. 

Have not tried the sauce also, but am asking the source of the flip-top lids.  I can see that working with a moar liquid sauce, with sugars, gonna get all lump...

can you ask endorphin farms where they sourced them?

I like the cap idea and I second that bbq bottles with screw tops gets messy. Plastic bottles with a orifice aren't bad like say sweet baby rays but glass ones can get gross quick. Especially if there's more that one individual who uses them. 

Maybe make a video demonstrating pouring action of a thicker and a thinner sauce. i for one like the idea though. 

Thanks, SnF.  I figured they'd be more likely to share their source with their established client than a "competitor"...even though I'm so small potatoes it's not even a blip on the processing radar...;) 

I'm going to send this to my bottle supplier and see if they can get some in. 

salsalady said:
Thanks, SnF.  I figured they'd be more likely to share their source with their established client than a "competitor"...even though I'm so small potatoes it's not even a blip on the processing radar... ;)

I'm going to send this to my bottle supplier and see if they can get some in. 

From Michelle Fehr of Endorphin Farms: 

We currently source these caps thru our bottle distributor – Berlin Pkg.

However, you can purchase these direct from the Manufacturer WeatherChem.   http://www.weatherchem.com/cms/products/index.html

Many online bottle distributors will sell these by the case as well. 

:D

THANKS!  I'd contacted my supplier, they were "working" on getting flip tops, will forward the info.  Did find out they have the metal lids that can be BWB. 

They are usually a pressure seal. The seals are already in the lids, screw it tight, seal sets on bottle.

I love the flip lids.  One draw is that once you open the bottle, and remove the seal, shaking the product up and quickly flipping the lid up can leave some product IN the lid's "lid" tab, for lack of better terms  haha.  That in turn can drip down, and if you close the lid, is orphaned around the teardrop orifice and can get sticky, but overall no drips, no mess and easier to clean.  Much smoother pour and doesn't allow for "oh crap" pours when you overturn the bottle and it all rushes out.

Back