• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cherry pepper suggestion?

My daughter has grown super fond of Mezzetta sweet pickled cherry peppers we find at the grocery store, and I'm trying to replicate these in my garden. Last season I grew something labelled "sweet cherry pepper", and another labelled "pimiento", but neither of them turned out anything like what comes in the Mezzetta jar. They were all very large for their size (lol), and none turned red unless I let them grow to their full size.

Any suggestions for some very small, sweet, cherry-sized peppers that would pickle well?

peppersproutfarm said:
That would be the "Peppadew" pepper.

Malawi Piquante

OP specifically asked about:

My daughter has grown super fond of Mezzetta sweet pickled cherry peppers we find at the grocery store, and I'm trying to replicate these in my garden. Last season I grew something labelled "sweet cherry pepper", and another labelled "pimiento", but neither of them turned out anything like what comes in the Mezzetta jar. They were all very large for their size (lol), and none turned red unless I let them grow to their full size.

Any suggestions for some very small, sweet, cherry-sized peppers that would pickle well?
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
115-Sweet-Cherry-Peppers-Main.png

Search SouthernExposure for these cherry peppers (see attached photo) - sounds like what you are looking for.  They are mild annums - quick growing/ripening, and compact plant size.  Malawi, Peppapeach, and Ethiopian Pepper Tree are all baccatums - larger plants and slower to ripen.  I'm growing the Peppapeach and Ethiopian Pepper Tree x Sugar Rush this season, but they won't ripen until probably October for me.

PoTgG6k.jpg

peppersproutfarm said:
I still stand by my suggestion in answering the original posts very last question. Though the Malawi Piquante (Peppadew) isn't the exact pepper that this company uses. It is in my opinion a better flavor and also a mild pepper that pickles well.
Now I'm going to have to grow these, too!

Those cherry peppers from SouthernExposure look amazing! Buuut, looks like they're having trouble keeping up with demand -- the website wouldn't let me place an order. Hopefully I can find a window of opportunity.

Back