• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Chile Brain?

Serious post time (no seriously)

Aside from the adrenaline rush that can come from super hot peppers - does anyone know if there has been any research done into the effects of capsaicin on the brain?

Since my Naga encounter yesterday I've been buzzing. I don't drink caffiene due to an allergy - but this is like a can of redbull without the bad effects. I wonder if its addictive?

I don't know of any research on Humans, i think there may have been study with mice but i don't know what they were looking for. I know they established a lethal dose in mice.(something like .27grms per kg bodyweight from memory)
I reckon chillis could be mildy addictive purely because of the endorphin rush, who doesn't like to feel good?

Anything can be addictive, but I think in the case of Capsaicin, it's just sth in your head, not a bodily addcition. Let's say the rush is kinda morish.

Off course its addictive can you see the member Numbers at the bottom of the screen..But also a nice way of growing further fruit and veg and experimenting with sauces,Powders,salsa etc the list goes on..Addictive yes but also healthy :)

In medicine capsaicin is used in pain treatment. It is used against the pain from peripheral neuropathy for example coming from Herpes zoster. It is used externally and supposed to swap the original pain. It only has peripheral effects and no central brain effects. So a bodily addiction is most unlikely because that would need an effect to the brain. But there is some kind of indirect effect due to the endorphine production induced bei the capsaicin pain. So there might be some mental addiction as with marathon, triathlon, bodybuilding, mountaineering or S&M.

Back