• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chile Focus! The Experiment!

Well I finally got my hands on some Chile focus to try, But the question remains whether or not it is worth the $. So I decided (with some help) to do a mini Experiment.

Purpose:
Determine if Chile Focus is worth the $.

Plan:
Bottom water 2 trays of plants of equal size, One with water, One with Chile focus and compare the
results. Both trays will continue to get foliar feedings of epsom salts. Other trays of peppers will
receive the leftover Chile Focus until I determine it is worth while to feed all other peppers with
Chile Focus. The end date of this experiment is yet to be determined. Each tray received the
same number of each variety and the varieties are symmetrical about the center of the table.

Minutes Before posting this Tread, Minutes after the first feeding.

Tray #1: Water
32470_789672183593_14233130_43621015_7908004_n.jpg

Tray #2: Chile Focus
32470_789672188583_14233130_43621016_4111453_n.jpg

Hope this is helpful! I plan on updating this every week so push me to do so.

I will list what varieties are there and were they are located later this week.

Who is Excited? :onfire:
:woohoo:

I am! lol would be good to see if it does make a difference, i've only seen it online. and dont really hear of the major growers on here raving about it.

It doesnt look like either of them need Chile Focus.
The water ones seem to be about the same, maybe a touch smaller

Cool! :)

Now to ask the pressing skientifik questions:

What sort of compost did you use with all the plants?

Are you growing the same varieties on both trays?

Are both trays receiving the same amount of light?

The public wants to know! ;)

I think your experiment needs a third tray fed with cheap run of the mill 10-10-10 fertilizer. ;)

As it stands the comparison will only demonstrate the differences between those fed with fertilizer and those without.

Aji Chombo said:

You should also compare it with the nutrients you normally use and others nutrients commonly used for chiles.

We are a tough crowd to please:lol:

EDIT: SS beat me to it.

I would be really interested to see it tested vs Miracle grow tomato ferts.

But I'm not willing to part with a kidney impoting the stuff from Europe

Aji Chombo said:

1: All are a mix of: Miracle Grow Potting soil, Perlite, Jiffy Organic Seed Starting mix, Bone Meal, 17-17-17 6 month Fertilizer and Some Composted Horse Manure.

2/3: There are the same Varieties in each tray and they are Symmetrically located under the same 4' Floro light

Silver_Surfer said:
I think your experiment needs a third tray fed with cheap run of the mill 10-10-10 fertilizer. ;)

As it stands the comparison will only demonstrate the differences between those fed with fertilizer and those without.
There are a few of the varieties that I only have 2 Plants, making a 3rd category some what difficult to compare.

MrArboc said:
You should also compare it with the nutrients you normally use and others nutrients commonly used for chiles.

We are a tough crowd to please:lol:
I usually only use Epsom Salts and Run of the Mill Miracle Grow.

FadeToBlack said:
I would be really interested to see it tested vs Miracle grow tomato ferts.

But I'm not willing to part with a kidney impoting the stuff from Europe
I Could switch the water one to Miracle Grow OR Miracle Grow Tomato Ferts, And compare the 2 but then the control is Lost....
I am going to have to go look and see how many plant of each variety I have for sure.
It was only $16 for that bottle from a Hydro store. To bad it is an hour away from here.

Opinions needed.

Silver_Surfer said:

Yes we need a control plant, most people feed their plants something so as SS suggested would be a great idea IMO. :)

Ya, the water only ones are obviously going to suffer which will just prove that chilifocus is better than adding nothing.

POTAWIE said:
Ya, the water only ones are obviously going to suffer which will just prove that chilifocus is better than adding nothing.

+1, BUT... Limited plant numbers is unfortunately the problem with this test, maybe you could (if you have pics) compare to a previous year if the same varieties were grown under the same lights..... Just spit ballin....

Jas

halo_players_junkyard said:
1: All are a mix of: Miracle Grow Potting soil, Perlite, Jiffy Organic Seed Starting mix, Bone Meal, 17-17-17 6 month Fertilizer and Some Composted Horse Manure.

2/3: There are the same Varieties in each tray and they are Symmetrically located under the same 4' Floro light

Not so sure the Miracle Grow 10-10-10 or Chili Focus is going to give good results since the soil already contains Miracle Grow Soil AND 17-17-17 Six month fertilizer....thoughts??? Sounds like death by ferts to me...my 2 cents

bossman9 said:
Not so sure the Miracle Grow 10-10-10 or Chili Focus is going to give good results since the soil already contains Miracle Grow Soil AND 17-17-17 Six month fertilizer....thoughts??? Sounds like death by ferts to me...my 2 cents

The Miracle Grow Potting Soil I use is rather low in ferts., And the 6 month fert. is used sparingly.

Ok after so more thought, I am going to work on a 3rd tray, The 3rd tray is going to become the water tray. The former water tray is going to get Miracle Grow Tomato Fert. at 18-18-21. The reason for this is my most rare plants are already divided between these 2 trays and as stated above, no use in starving them for nutes by only giving water. So the 3rd tray will still work as a control for some varieties.

Ok the original water tray just got Miracle grow tomato Fert., All the rest of my plants got water. Thursday Night I will Create the new water tray and take pics of the current status of things. I will have access to a computer to answer questions but will be away from my plants till Thursday.

Sorry Guys, Life is crazy busy right now. I just started moving the peppers from the experiment to the garage to begin hardening them. I took pictures as I was moving them. I will Upload them the first spare minute I have. The Experiment however will have to end now. As I do not have the patience to continue to figure out which plants get which ferts once they go in the ground. I personally feel that over all Chile Focus did a better job than MG tomato Fert or just water. But there are a good deal of variations between the varieties. A much larger sampling is required for defiant proof.

Back