• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chiletepin

Growing chiletepin and curious what soil to use. I've used regular potting mix and noticed the bottom was super hard when I reported them. Any ideas?

Hi ..my 2 cents...I use regular potting soil and amend it with some vermiculite  for my pepper plants...I  know you have had some extremely
high temps this summer  so that may have caused faster drying some caking at the bottom which may not allow h2o to penetrate.If a container planting is so dry that the soil hardens, water will run off the hard surface and head straight to the bottom of the pot. If the container is small enough to be submerged in a bucket of room temperature water, do so until the soil is completely soaked..also use  bark or similar as mulch on the top of your containers. This will help keep them from drying out as well as prevent weeds from forming that can steal moisture from your plants.I too grow a lot of wilds..love them.
Happy growing! :P :P

The bottom usually feels mushy.
wiriwiri said:
Hi ..my 2 cents...I use regular potting soil and amend it with some vermiculite  for my pepper plants...I  know you have had some extremely
high temps this summer  so that may have caused faster drying some caking at the bottom which may not allow h2o to penetrate.If a container planting is so dry that the soil hardens, water will run off the hard surface and head straight to the bottom of the pot. If the container is small enough to be submerged in a bucket of room temperature water, do so until the soil is completely soaked..also use  bark or similar as mulch on the top of your containers. This will help keep them from drying out as well as prevent weeds from forming that can steal moisture from your plants.I too grow a lot of wilds..love them.
Happy growing! :P :P

fmulder21 said:
Growing chiletepin and curious what soil to use. I've used regular potting mix and noticed the bottom was super hard when I reported them. Any ideas?

https://www.berger.ca/en/product/bm7-bark/
Straight out of the bag. Don't need to add anything. If you want something foolproof that isn't loaded with ferts (only a starter charge - don't have to feed for a month) and isn't too terribly expensive. I know it is a Canadian website, but they carry it here. Martha Trubey <MarthaT@berger.ca> is the rep for Texas. Just email her and ask her where it is carried down in H town.
Stuff drains really well so you won't have soggy bottoms.
Hope you are staying dry this weekend down there man! Harvey looks mean!!

bm7_barkmix_3loosebag_berger.png

Back