• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

chili beer

I have had a chipolte beer from rogue that I was not a real big fan of. When I was passing thru portland I was able to stop at Dechutes and try their Black Butte XXII which was EPIC. Unfortunately it was cancelled because of the chocolate not dissolving and you can only get it at the brewery.

There are a few commercial ones that i think are no good. Perhaps they use powder or an extract not sure?
However you can make your own.
We brew our beer at a micro brewery which then ferments it and cold filters it and we pour the beer through a tap into bottles or kegs. When we do bottles sometimes we add a flake of dried Bhut Jolokia before capping and let it sit for a few weeks. The longer you leave it the hotter it gets. It has an awesome flavour as well as packing a punch. I also think it tastes slightly like it has hints of honey or caramel when we do this. Not sure why but that is what i taste. Try it!

Ah well...I made the ignorant decision to try Chili Beer (chilibeer.com). The reason I said ignorant was because I know full well that you can't keep chilies in anything without any citric/vingear/other preservative base. I drank about 4 beers and ended up taking 2 days off from work. Never....ever...again.

I think I'm going to go back to BevMo w/the empty bottles (plus the remaining bottles along w/the receipt) and having them take the rest of their stock off the shelves.

A friend of mine from New Zealand made me some homemade ginger beer (ginger ale) that had some of my chiles in it. The stuff did actually ferment and it was possible to catch a buzz from it. The biggest problem was. . .it tasted like CRAP! While she was there, I sampled her brew and put on my best "Mmmmmm, yummy face." After my buddy left my office, I gave the rest away as quick as I could. Silly kiwis...

I'll stick with the non-pepper variety when it comes to my beer. :beer:

i have made a lot of beer, i have tasted friend's beers that were strawberry & raspberry flavoured when that was the in thing to do but you know, sometimes, some things are just better left untouched and beer is one of those things. sure, use different waters, different hops, varieties of malt or different yeasts. but leave it at that!

yes, i appreciate a good stout, amber ale, strong ale, draught, lager, brown ale, wheat beer, porter or even a nice cream ale but on a hot summer day, leave the all the other shit out of what is meant to be a really good refreshing drink.

i have been looking for some malts to make a batch but that would leave me with a lot of bottles, i am no longer a big beer drinker and usually buy a six pack in early summer and it lasts well into the fall. i usually buy the cheapest thing on the shelf but if i really needed a beer fix i would buy a pilsner urquell - its hopy flavour is just so rememberable.

If dried chillies are used vs. fresh then there is not much that goes wrong.
I enjoy a chilli beer or two but would not sit down and drink 6 in a row. I think it is good for that one off drunk moderately. Some do taste crap but others do taste nice. Think you just have to find the right one.

that chili beer with the serrano hybrid in it is good! a friend of mine made habnero cayene beer a few years ago. that was awsome! rogue chipotle is ok. i'm sure more will come out soon. they put everything in beer now except toothpaste!

Back