event Chili Cookoffs

Ok, time for a little poll here. I recently attended a chili cookoff at work as one of the judges. All of the entries were pretty good but all of them had beans in them. So my question to you guys is...

Okay, your choices were tough. I voted yes, but my heart was also with the beer option. Chili can be great either way, but I am just so darned partial to beans (as long as a quality bean is used , may I suggest Hanover if you can get your hands on them)

Good poll.

Go beer.:D

Go chili. :D

Put in beans if you want... just be prepared to have me possibly pick some of them out anyway.

But... make sure the beer is cold!

T

Ok gang...you need to think like a kid to finish this little dity..(it should come easy for most of you..the intelligent adults may be offended).. :P

Beans..Beans..the magical fruit...

I'm offended. But more because I now have an 11 year old boy dancing around the living room singing "beans, beans the magical fruit..."

Sigh.

i wanted to do a skit one time at a chili cook off where a texas trooper searches a car from north carolina and finds a can of beans and the texas trooper beats the crap out of em.

this is a very very strange situation to me....the first bowl of chili ever put in front of me as a large child(notice i didnt say small child) had beans in it.
and my mom called it chili con carne.

so growing up with beans in your chili its tough when you talk to the ones from texas and other places.

i gotta tell yall a funny story... bout 20 years ago i moved away from home...got married and one night i looked at the little lady....(ya compared to me she is little......hell everyone compared to me is little) anyway i said i want some chili....so we went to the store and got everything i figured we would need.....chips....cheese....onions beans
we sat down and started to eat and im like.....you know this is not as good as mom made....picked up the phone...was living in south kakalaki at the time..... i said mom what did i do wrong.
she listed off several things...and im like yea yea yea
then she asked me a intresting question..........how much chili powder did you put in??
:P chii powder

bubbaschili said:
i wanted to do a skit one time at a chili cook off where a texas trooper searches a car from north carolina and finds a can of beans and the texas trooper beats the crap out of em.

this is a very very strange situation to me....the first bowl of chili ever put in front of me as a large child(notice i didnt say small child) had beans in it.
and my mom called it chili con carne.

so growing up with beans in your chili its tough when you talk to the ones from texas and other places.

i gotta tell yall a funny story... bout 20 years ago i moved away from home...got married and one night i looked at the little lady....(ya compared to me she is little......hell everyone compared to me is little) anyway i said i want some chili....so we went to the store and got everything i figured we would need.....chips....cheese....onions beans
we sat down and started to eat and im like.....you know this is not as good as mom made....picked up the phone...was living in south kakalaki at the time..... i said mom what did i do wrong.
she listed off several things...and im like yea yea yea
then she asked me a intresting question..........how much chili powder did you put in??
:P chii powder

Priceless :lol:

Speaking of powder. I like putting Taco and Burrito mixes in it. Anybody else?
I honestly love Hormel's zingy/tangy flavor, but have not been able to acheive anything close to it. Anybody here know what their secret ingredient is?

tinner666 said:
Speaking of powder. I like putting Taco and Burrito mixes in it. Anybody else?
I honestly love Hormel's zingy/tangy flavor, but have not been able to acheive anything close to it. Anybody here know what their secret ingredient is?

been wanting to experiment with adding some salsa to my throw dow...slash..freestyle chili

I once had a beef stew that didn't have enough potatoes in it for me. The chef told me potatoes are fillers. But I like potatoes in beef stew... they soak up all the flavors, and potatoes are good! I guess this is the same argument. Beans are cheap fillers. Meat is expensive. So my answer is, if you like beans, go with beans! Maybe you can use a really expensive bean and let the judges know it's not just a filler. :onfire:

thehotpepper.com said:
I once had a beef stew that didn't have enough potatoes in it for me. The chef told me potatoes are fillers. But I like potatoes in beef stew... they soak up all the flavors, and potatoes are good!
I've found the trick with any stew is to do ingredients whole(and fresh). If you add patatoes, add them whole, if you do carrots, don't chop them up, put em in whole. It's a manly thing but for some reason it works much better.

When the soup is all finished, take a fork or spoon and break up some of the whole ingredients and serve.

imaguitargod said:
I've found the trick with any stew is to do ingredients whole(and fresh). If you add patatoes, add them whole, if you do carrots, don't chop them up, put em in whole. It's a manly thing but for some reason it works much better.

When the soup is all finished, take a fork or spoon and break up some of the whole ingredients and serve.

What a great idea... I like huge chunks of vegetables in my soups and souses, but I never thought of throwing them in there whole.

T

Back