• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chili or Chile?

This has probably been discussed before here before but I couldn't find anything with the search function. Actually I found too much.

According to a newsletter I received from Beth at Peppermania "To elaborate on the nomenclature, CHILE refers to the pepper plant or pod. CHILI refers to the traditional dish of meat, beans and chiles Texans are famous for."

It's acceptable to use two "L"s in the spelling of either one ie., CHILLE or CHILLI.

There now if you didn't know this, and I didn't, you learned something today. :halo:

I like to kick it OTC (original Texas chili). You know, with the beans!

Funny, I spell it different ways it seems like every time I write it.

I like to kick it OTC (original Texas chili). You know, with the beans!

Oh no you didn't!!!

The last beans/no beans discussion ended in full scale war with thousands of lives lost and scores of thousands of casualties. Don't wish to see that happen again.

BTW.

TEXAS WON!!!

All depends where you are from. I've seen it spelled about 6 different ways. In N. America we tend to call pods chiles and a bowl of red chili or chilli, but in EU pods are chilis or chilies

And to further the discussion of chiles, isn't a chile and a pepper the same thing? So when someone says they're growing chile peppers, it's like saying your taking your canine dog for a walk. Or petting your feline cat,

In OZ, it's chillis for pods, and I don't think they eat that red soup-type concoction (with or without beans) down under. ;)

Chiles are hot peppers

All chiles are peppers
Not all peppers are chiles :)

There are dozens of other synonyms too like: Jolokia, aji, pimento etc.

Does that mean that bell peppers are not chiles?

Holy hell, I could argue that Chile is a country in South America.

But I prefer chile nomenclature when referring to @pepper@ pods.

In OZ, it's chillis for pods

Correcto. Chilli / chillies.

As for bell peppers, we call 'em capsicums. And despite the fact we name them after the entire "chilli" species, I have never heard one person refer to them as a chilli (like you lot over in the states use "pepper" for both). Chillies are the hot ones and capsicums are the sweet ones. Good ol' Upside-Down-Under.... :D

and I don't think they eat that red soup-type concoction (with or without beans) down under. ;)

Usually it's called "chilli con carne" here. People do eat it... it's just not super-popular is all.

As for beans / no beans, I'm pretty sure your average Aussie just sees them as being a part of the dish. So pretty much, if you don't like beans, you don't eat it. Well, that's my theory on why it's not super-popular anyway.....

Correcto. Chilli / chillies.

As for bell peppers, we call 'em capsicums. And despite the fact we name them after the entire "chilli" species, I have never heard one person refer to them as a chilli (like you lot over in the states use "pepper" for both). Chillies are the hot ones and capsicums are the sweet ones. Good ol' Upside-Down-Under.... :D

Yeah, well, you people's toilets flush backwards too! :drunk:

yea, well, at least they FLUSH!

:lol:

Nice to see you, gasi~ just joshin' 'bout that soup thang~

Back