• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chili or Chile?

I like chile's in my chilli on a chilly day. With an egg or two on top, it's chilli con juevos.

Nothing to see here, move along....

Good to see you SS.

You put chili beans in chili. I suppose you could put them in a chile too but that would be messy.

POTAWIE said I got technical. You folks have no idea how much that means to me coming from him. Thank you sir. :halo:

You put chili peppers in chili! :P Though, I'll admit I used to think a chili pepper was a specific type of hot pepper, not a generic word for hot peppers of any kind, because I grew up just calling them hot peppers or peppers. Must be regional variations.

You put chili peppers in chili! :P Though, I'll admit I used to think a chili pepper was a specific type of hot pepper, not a generic word for hot peppers of any kind, because I grew up just calling them hot peppers or peppers. Must be regional variations.

Nope. :halo: You put chiles in chili.

I prefer chile. Chile= fruit of capsicum plants, or a country in South America. Chili= stew made with beef and chiles. Chile powder= ground fruit of capsicum plants. Chili powder= ground fruit of capsicum plants mixed with spices (garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, etc.) used to make chili. Chilli= some strange looking word that people from Australia type on the internet.

We don't Anglicize the spelling of most other fruits or spices with Spanish names, e.g. mango, guava, papaya, cilantro, etc. so why do it with chile?

I don't know the etymology of "chili" but it comes off to me as an Anglicized misspelling like "habañero" or "tamale."

Chili and chilli are also considered correct spellings though, so it's not like I'm going to correct anyone writing it that way.

Chili is American English for the pepper. The dish is called chili because chili con carne literally means peppers with meat. It's a Texan born name combining English (chili) and Spanish (con carne).

Chile (chee-lay) is Spanish for the pepper (as well as aji).

Many use chile to differentiate the pepper from the dish.

Chilli is British/Australian English.

But does one put Chili beans, in Chilis in Chili, in Chile?

What if they are also Chilly?
Thats the question.

Yes sir! One can put chili beans in chili in Chile. That is their special purpose. If they are chilly then one would put the heat to the chili in order for them to warm up and no longer be chilly.

I can't believe this thread has 38 posts. You people rock! Either that or no lives.

My wife and her family are from Mexico and they call anything and everything to do with peppers Chili. I know Willard already said this but I couldn't resist.

:drunk:

I prefer chile. Chile= fruit of capsicum plants, or a country in South America. Chili= stew made with beef and chiles. Chile powder= ground fruit of capsicum plants. Chili powder= ground fruit of capsicum plants mixed with spices (garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, etc.) used to make chili. Chilli= some strange looking word that people from Australia type on the internet.

We don't Anglicize the spelling of most other fruits or spices with Spanish names, e.g. mango, guava, papaya, cilantro, etc. so why do it with chile?

I don't know the etymology of "chili" but it comes off to me as an Anglicized misspelling like "habañero" or "tamale."

Chili and chilli are also considered correct spellings though, so it's not like I'm going to correct anyone writing it that way.

I like this, I'm gonna stick with this in future, thats as an englishman.

Chili is American English for the pepper. The dish is called chili because chili con carne literally means peppers with meat. It's a Texan born name combining English (chili) and Spanish (con carne).

Chile (chee-lay) is Spanish for the pepper (as well as aji).

Many use chile to differentiate the pepper from the dish.

Chilli is British/Australian English.

I believe you mean English English, the original non distorted version.

Back