• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Chilli Antidote

Thanks for your input AJ! You clearly have done much research on this topic and its interesting to hear. I have always wondered about whether there wasn't something out there that could be more effective than Ice Cream and milk etc. I hear what you are saying about finding something with a higher affinity than the capsicainoids to attach to the pain receptors. You are right... it would take a bio-chemist to investigate this.

I will read up on some of the links, to get a better understanding. I am sure one day someone will come up with an antidote to chilli burn. Even if it just significantly reduced the burning sensation it would be quite a break through. Not to defeat the ends of those wishing to be macho and do the masochism tango lol, but possibly as an antidote to pepper spray etc who knows.

Screw you related previous topic, this one is way more informative :P

Everyone interested in the science of food, this book is a must -
Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
ISBN - 978-0231133128

Hi
For me anything containing fat and alcohol( e.g. Irish Cream)... but you have to keep it in you mouth for a little bit in order to solve the Capsaicinoids... And for washing hands I use Sunscreen, but donĀ“t ask me where I got that idea...
BR
Jan

excerpt from the link....I was wrong....the Casein does not replace the capsaicin on the heat receptor, it bonds with it so it can be washed away...

Reducing the Burn
When consuming capsaicin-rich foods, you might sometimes find the heat to be too overwhelming. According to the American Dietetic Association, the best way to counter the effects of capsaicin on the mucous membranes in your mouth is to eat dairy products such as milk and cheese. This is because the casein protein in dairy foods bonds with the capsaicin and washes it out of your mouth. You can also try to tone down the heat by taking the seeds and skin off of the pepper.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447263-peppers-with-most-capsaicin/

I'm with AJ and Nova on this one. If you think you need milk or some such, don't eat it. You're already in trouble and not a good idea.

I really would like the antidote for the next day super sh*ts. I like the burn of eating super hots, but needing to stay near the restroom the next day sure is a pain in the @ss (literally).

Pure CAPSAICIN is supposed to be around 16 mil SHU, each of the other capsaicinoids have different (lower) SHU in their pure form. So a pure extract from any pepper with a different composition of capsaicinoids would have a different SHU. PeriPeri said something about it, I dont know where he got the numbers but for the sake of argument lets assume its true...

If we want to pretend that the average chile has about the % composition that PeriPeri put up, you could probably estimate SHU of a pure capsaicinoid resin (ie a pure mix of ALL the capsaicinoids from the pepper) by a weighted average of the SHU's attributed to each. [(69%x16mil + 22%x15mil + 7%x9.1mil + 2%x8.6mil) = 15.15 mil SHU]

Hi

Just to substantiate lol I got those figures from Wikipedia. This was their break down of what a typical chilli might be composed of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin. Not that there ever is one chilli that is the same, nor that Wikipedia is correct in this instance I suppose. It does however point out that all the different components in our beloved chillies have different SHU. I am presuming that milder chillies are composed more of H2O and have lower concentrations of Capsaicinoids.

Dairy seems to be a big flag in this conversation - be it cream, milk, cheese, or Ice cream. Yoghurt too seems to come up. I find alcohol makes things ten times worse, but in my mind it does make sense as it would dissolve oils. If one had a mix of all the ingredients that seem to work... alcohol, vegetable oil, sugar, soap, and Casein... it would probably cause you to vom on the spot(lol)... but might it not work? I think I am going to do some tests this weekend.

Cucumber too is used in Indian cuisine as it is said to have cooling properties. Mint and aloe vera are said to have cooling properties too.

Even the sublimely ridiculous myth about toothpaste seems to have a little credibility. As toothpaste contains polyethylene glycol... which is a documented oily compound that washes off Capsaicin.

From what AJ is saying, it sounds to me like Casein bonding to the Capsaicin is not unlike soaps action on oil/fat... they bond like a fat trapper, encasing the capsaicin and not allowing it to attach itself to the pain receptors in the mouth.

I remember a few years ago there was a hangover remmedy where you had to take a tablet before and after. I imagine a remedy for Capsaicin would have this kind of an approach. One tab to line the mouth, preventing the Capsaicinoids from attaching themselves to the pain receptors in the mouth. And one tablet after the meal that would flush the mouth from all the oils that line the mouth. Not sure... something like that. In any case what the ingredient is... is another question. Alcohol... what alcohol? Sugar... What sugar? etc etc

In any case, there has to be some mix that could significantly reduce the effects of capsaicin on the human body. As for the stomach... I think that is a little easier to control as one just has to eat and line the stomach properly.. no?

excerpt from the link....I was wrong....the Casein does not replace the capsaicin on the heat receptor, it bonds with it so it can be washed away...

Reducing the Burn
When consuming capsaicin-rich foods, you might sometimes find the heat to be too overwhelming. According to the American Dietetic Association, the best way to counter the effects of capsaicin on the mucous membranes in your mouth is to eat dairy products such as milk and cheese. This is because the casein protein in dairy foods bonds with the capsaicin and washes it out of your mouth. You can also try to tone down the heat by taking the seeds and skin off of the pepper.

So a start on an "antidote" would be finding a way to supercharge the Casein so it reacts more like our own white blood cells and "attacks" the offending Capsaicin.

This isn't very technical so should be dismissed out of hand, but for me the best way to reduce the burn down to comfortable levels is to knock back a quick trio of White Russians. You've got the cold from the ice, the milk, the cream in the kahlua and the alcohol, all working together in perfect synergy to whip the butts (or Bhuts) of those pesky little capsaicinoidaloids.....

It works a treat whenever I do the hot wing challenge at my local boozer and I defy anyone to find a more effective solution/remedy :eek: :)

Banana helps the stomach, so I hear. For me anything cold works very well. Counters the temperature of the mouth. That's just my opinion though. Dairy is usually served cold so the coldness and the cream helps.

I agree that you shouldn't be trying to get rid of the burn, but there are times that it is necessary, like when you are trying something new that you just were not prepared for. Hard liquor works well for me, preferably scotch. The burn goes kind of well with the nice smoky peat flavor. Swish it around in your mouth since capsaicin is alcohol soluble, swallow, then repeat. It also takes away the pain because after doing quite a few shots to take away the burn, you end up drunk which kind of dulls your nerves. I would also have to say that while hard liquor takes away the mouth burn, it makes the burn in your stomach worse. I guess you could always spit out the liquor after swishing it around, but that would be a party foul / alcohol abuse LOL. Beer doesn't really have enough alcohol to wash the burn away, and just makes things worse due to the high water content, for me at least.

Grab a .."HOT".. lid off a stock pot "bare-handed", that will temporarily take the pain away from the rest of the body........*^#%$*%^"...:%$&@!

This isn't very technical so should be dismissed out of hand, but for me the best way to reduce the burn down to comfortable levels is to knock back a quick trio of White Russians. You've got the cold from the ice, the milk, the cream in the kahlua and the alcohol, all working together in perfect synergy to whip the butts (or Bhuts) of those pesky little capsaicinoidaloids.....

It works a treat whenever I do the hot wing challenge at my local boozer and I defy anyone to find a more effective solution/remedy :eek: :)

Sounds good to me!
:D

Reducing the Burn

I have to question this advice. They're obviously wrong about toning down the heat by removing the seeds and skin of the pepper so who's to say they know what they're talking about when it comes to the capsaicin bonding with the casein protein?

Ice cream is my go-to fire extinguisher. It depends on what I'm eating though really. Thai food = coconut ice cream. Szechuan = red bean ice cream. Mexican/Spanish = vanilla. Also, if I'm out, I'll have I white russian or maybe a espresso martini :beer:

Slam 6 Mexican Duckfarts (Bailey's, Kahlua and Tequila) and you'll forget all about the burn. You'll be too busy taking your pants off over your head. Been there, done that.

First post in ages - A mixture of liquid antacid and water appears to be a good remedy for topical capsaicin, from chili on the hands to pepper-spray in the eyes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20579556
http://medic.wikia.com/wiki/L.A.W._%28liquid_antacid_and_water%29

ATM I don't have any chilli that is hot enough to really burn me that bad, but in the past I've used cheese slices and milk.

I was buying some hab paste at a shop few weeks back and the guy that served me told be he tried the chillifactories chilli sauces and pastes at the Easter show. He had some jolokia paste said to be 15/10 heat rating, havn't tried it myself. Now he isn't a chillihead and burnt his mouth out. He ran to a stall that sold oak milk, he kept drinking it but it did nothing to stop the pain. What I was thinking is what is the point of just drinking? You would need to hold the milk in your mouth to stop your mouth burning.

I also wonder if by trying to stop the burn that your infact stopping your body from building up some immunity/resistance to chilli?

Another thing I wonder about is why does really hot chilli give me hiccups? I find that trying to hold my breath to stop the hiccups makes the inside of my mouth hurt even more. :crazy:

Back