food Chilli Honey

just got a load of smoked bhuts, peach ghost scorpions and red ghost scorpions arrive in Japan from the states.

my buddy used his armed forces address to get them over here, he suggested making ghost scorpion infused honey.

Anyone ever tried it?

the idea seems brilliant. especially when i get a cold, a spoon of chilli honey with lemon and ginger to make tea.

if anyone's tried doing it (or something similar) any tips??

only way thatd come to my mind how to do that is, fully dry the pods to a crisp & blend them into powder & mix into the honey.

I agree powder will work.. I have infused moonshine and it will pull the heat out of the pepper in about 2 weeks.., I also have infused salt by making a pepper puree then mixing and drying ( highly recomended ).. the closest thing I have done is infused olive oil.. that you have to heat up to just under a boil then add the item in.. in my case it was basil leaves. I let it sit for 2 weeks in a sunny window sill then strained out the basil.. other wise the oil gets cloudy as the basil dissolves.. As far as peppers and honey.. you should try small batches and see what works best..be sure you dont leave the peppers in the honey too long or you might get unintended fermentation.

there is a member here that soaks the pods in the honey for a week or so and then strains them out. I have a jar or two and it is tasty. Those are fresh though, so if you have dried I would only be guessing that the above advise would work.

Being a pro brewer, I have all things at my disposal to encourage or prevent fermentation. Looking forward to doing chilli honey.

No fresh pods, just dried jays ghost scorpion

Thanks for the idea. I'm a beekeeper and have quite a bit of raw honey from the spring. I'm drying pods in the basement and chilli honey sounds delicious! I'm fighting a cold and some of that in some hot tea could cure what ails you! We also are in the midst of a winter blizzard, 40 mile an hour winds, 9 inches of snow, it's cold out there!!!! Thanks for a great idea to play with.

Put a pod or 2 (or powder would work also but would make the honey speckled. ) into some honey and gently warm it. If it's in a jar, set it in a sauce pan of water over low flame and heat for a little bit. that will start eht oils coming out of the chillis. Then you can turn it off and let it sit for 1-14 days. remove the pods. You may need to warm the honey again to strain out the pods/seeds. Have Fun! post how it turns out.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I have bags of dried chilis that I have been using here and there for various recipes... I will have to add this to my list of ideas. Something about a chili/honey ham sounds wonderful. I have made it with fresh habs stuffed into it, and then I drizzled honey over it before putting it in the smoker... but have never tried infused honey. Thanks for the idea! ;)

Put a pod or 2 (or powder would work also but would make the honey speckled. ) into some honey and gently warm it. If it's in a jar, set it in a sauce pan of water over low flame and heat for a little bit. that will start eht oils coming out of the chillis. Then you can turn it off and let it sit for 1-14 days. remove the pods. You may need to warm the honey again to strain out the pods/seeds. Have Fun! post how it turns out.

this sounds like a better way to do chile honey.

I gotta wait a couple of weeks to pick up my pods (and germination heat mat) off my buddy cause he's in India. Then I'll do it and get some pics up.

Ive done it and love it. Not just for sickness but also to prevent getting sick and just maintain a healthy system. Not sure if it actually works or if there is research backing up the health benefits, but I believe it so whether it works or not it makes me feel better!!! :o)

xo Nicole

Wish I wasn't made redundant recently.. But my old boss would never have allowed it anyway!

Sadly in Japan most people have a worse heat tolerance than my grandmother! Would take a genius to market it despite the fact I could make a good job of it.

I wanna start my own brew pub, and as soon as I do, there will be a smoked bhut porter on. Even if I have to drink it all myself ;)

Back