• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Chilli Pickled Eggs.

Just made my first batch of Chilli Pickled egg's for the day and 3 more to make.
10 eggs per jar, I have starting using smaller sized egg's as the Pickling spice penetrates the eggs quicker.

Vinegar used -- White and Apple Cider.
Pickling spice used -- Mustard Seed, Whole Allspice Pimento , Coriander Seed , Cloves , Bay Leaves , Cinnamon Sticks , Salt  and of course Chilli to taste
Let the waiting begin ! :dance:

pick1.jpg

pick2_1.jpg

I'm in heaven.

I was just talking to my boss today about making some. How long do you let them sit for?

Congrats looks delicious!
Thanks,

With the larges sized eggs I was having to wait up to 4+ weeks for the vinegar & spices to penetrate the egg but now I'm using smaller ones I'm hoping around only 2 weeks.

081714190314_zpsa7853540.jpg

I added a couple dried reapers

Soooooo good and easy

Mine were ready in just less than a week

I run a toothpick through them to allow better penetration.
I was going to use Reapers but thought it might be to hot for the other family members. I have fresh ripe Reaper pods on my plants now so will do a jar just for myself..lol did you slice the reapers in half, what size jar is that pictured and how many Reapers did you use?

Thanks.

I think its a qallon

About two dried reapers lightly crushed ( four or five big pieces and some crumbs)

My family can't handle the heat so its all me

Great post and thank you for the inspiration.
I love boiled eggs and of course peppers.
 I picked some Chupetinhos and  Moruga Scorpion and had 2 dozen eggs available.

20 eggs ( medium size for better taste penetration )
2 maruga Scorpions
25 Chupetinhos
5 Choc Cherry peppers
4 Aji lemon
Pickling Spice (cloves, cinnamon , black pepper etc)
All Spice Berries
1 onion rough chopped
1 cup vinegar
1cup water
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons sugar

Hard boil the eggs , let them cool down and peel them.
Pack the eggs in a sterilized jar.
Boil the rest together and pore over the eggs.
Seal it, place in the fridge and wait for a few weeks.

Scorpions for heat and the rest to eat as pickled peppers with the eggs as they come out

IMG_20170326_213641.jpg

IMG_20170326_213509.jpg

IMG_20170326_213435.jpg

Love me some pickled eggs. Those are looking great. Good job. Sometimes I like to make a batch with cold smoked hard boiled eggs. I also like to add about 5- 10 reapers or scorpions or a mixture and puree the peppers in the brine. Otherwise it seems like the pickling really tones down the heat. I used to use a straight habanero vinegar slurry but it seemed like I could just never get em hot enough till I used the ultra hots. I concur with the smaller eggs, medium size eggs are my choice if i can get em. 

Hotrod64 said:
That looks great karoo, i see you added onion...it does flavour the eggs real nice. I use to just drop a few pickled onions in with mine.
Thank you, I add the onions and milder peppers for flavour , but also to use as pickled onion and peppers at the same time. When you are making a salad or sandwich with the eggs , you can use the pickled peppers and onions with it , or just snack it. Those chupetinhos are great for heat and pickled snacks.

Back