• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Chilli plant bought in Brazil - insanely hot

Heya all. Thanks for the add to this forum. I bought this plant 2 days ago in Brazil. It had no label and was in a supermarket. I cut a few peppers open yesterday to add to a dish I was cooking. Immediately just on cutting them I started to choke on the fumes as my throat closed up. These were extremely, extremely, exceptionally hot to eat . Of course I was stupid and itched my nose... another hour of pain! Any idea what species it is? Is it an ornamental chilli plant of some kind? I have attached some photos. Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• chili1.jpg
    chili1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 168
  • chili2.jpg
    chili2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 117
  • chili3.jpg
    chili3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 134
  • chili4.jpg
    chili4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 132
It's a cool looking pepper! 

Toward at least a general ID, can you provide a picture looking down at the calyx from the top of the pepper?  It seems as though there's annular constriction, but it's hard to tell from the angles.  A closer-up photo of a node area where a pedicel attaches could also help to indicate whether there was multiple flowering at the nodes that left pock marks.  From the pic's it look like only one pod per node.

I've seen baccatum, frutescens, and annum that look quite similar to this, but based on the pics provided and comments on heat I'd lean toward something in the chinense/frutescens space, possibly a mix of the two given apparent annular constriction and a more erect pedicel without multiple flowering per node.

Pictures of it in a flowering stage could sort this out in a hurry, but I doubt you could arrange that anytime soon.

CaneDog said:
It's a cool looking pepper! 

Toward at least a general ID, can you provide a picture looking down at the calyx from the top of the pepper?  It seems as though there's annular constriction, but it's hard to tell from the angles.  A closer-up photo of a node area where a pedicel attaches could also help to indicate whether there was multiple flowering at the nodes that left pock marks.  From the pic's it look like only one pod per node.

I've seen baccatum, frutescens, and annum that look quite similar to this, but based on the pics provided and comments on heat I'd lean toward something in the chinense/frutescens space, possibly a mix of the two given apparent annular constriction and a more erect pedicel without multiple flowering per node.

Pictures of it in a flowering stage could sort this out in a hurry, but I doubt you could arrange that anytime soon.

Yes, there were no flowers on it and I don't expect any any time soon. 

I think an interesting factor is that all the fruits grow upwards but I am not sure of the importance of this in identification.

I had to look up the technical terms you mentioned but hopefully these pictures will help.  :)  You can also see where I have cut a few off.

Attachments

• 20210225_220643.jpg
    20210225_220643.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210225_220704.jpg
    20210225_220704.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210225_220823.jpg
    20210225_220823.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210225_180154.jpg
    20210225_180154.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 123
Great job with the pictures.  OK, so it lacks an annular constriction and it's single per node, so we've pretty much ruled out chinense.  Not being chinense also suggests this pepper shouldn't be super hot, but should likely be at the hot end of habanero range or less. Does that sound right or is this really one of those super hot face-melters?

It could be an annuum - it looks a lot like a Facing Heaven pepper, for instance, except for being yellow.  The thing is an annuum wouldn't be expected to be as hot as this sounds.

Frutescens can get really hot, but it doesn't look quite right for a frutescens to me - before I had though maybe some form of chinense x frutescens hybrid.

If I had to guess at this point, I might guess baccatum.  It has some similarity to an aji ayuyo (other than pod color) and some baccatum can get pretty hot. Upright pods isn't unheard of and a single pod per node is pretty common outside of the wild baccatum space.

Wish I could give you a better idea, but you should know for sure once it flowers again.  Perhaps in the meantime someone else will be able to help more.

I spoke to some English guy online and he seems to have nailed it. Not 100% sure, but seems right. It seems to be a Capsicum Annum Karneval. A common type of chilli in Brazil grown really more for its ornamental value and beautiful colours (probably covered in pesticides). However, this plant for whatever reason has very hot chillis (either that or I was blown away with some chemicals that were on it.. :surprised:). I was also read the flavour is not so textured as other chillis but packs a surprising punch nonetheless and is useful to cook with. I would be curious to find out the Scoville level.

Here is what I now think it is:

https://www.shopyourway.com/hirts-pepper-karneval-serrano-very-hot-pepper-plant-grow-indoors-or-out-one-quart-pot/204829265

http://www.agromineira.com.br/pimenteiras/

Ok maybe I missed the detailed info here or lack the knowledge of UK customs, though I have a feeling customs are fairly universal 
But, How does one " Buy a plant 2 days ago in Brazil "  & be from the UK & get that past customs ! to their home in the UK ?
EVERYWHERE ELSE  its confiscated ! (Plant material)

Hab-Scotch said:
Ok maybe I missed the detailed info here or lack the knowledge of UK customs, though I have a feeling customs are fairly universal 
But, How does one " Buy a plant 2 days ago in Brazil "  & be from the UK & get that past customs ! to their home in the UK ?
EVERYWHERE ELSE  its confiscated ! (Plant material)

It is quite simple really. I am from the UK. I am currently in Brazil. When I joined I thought I would enter under 'location' - my usual location. I travel a fair bit and can't be bothered to update my new location each time on this forum simply to satisfy internet sleuths.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found another supermarket selling the same plant today so I could read description. It stated Pimenta Karneval 'Yellow.' It is meant to eaten (not an ornamental plant full of pesticides - thank heavens). I took a picture of the heat chart at the back of the plant too (the pimenta is described as tasting Medium / Strong):

Attachments

• chil.jpg
    chil.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 113
Back