• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli trial

I came across this recently, I was hoping for some comments.

In a trial of 40 sweet and chilli pepper varieties conducted on Mr Fothergill’s Kentford, Suffolk, trial ground during the summer of 2011 plants growing outdoors generally performed better than those with polytunnel protection, producing better looking plants, higher yields and more pronounced flavours
298_816633338.jpg

Recent pepper trials gave some surprising results according to DT Brown
The company believes the success of the outdoor plants was due to their care programme and can easily be copied by gardeners. It also points out that the excellent outdoor performance was in spite of poor weather for much of July and August.
Mr Fothergill’s trials manager Brian Talman explains the technique. “Seed was sown during the first week of March, with seedlings being transplanted to 2.5cm cells in mid April. Planting into larger pots tends to slow plant growth. In mid May the young plants were set individually into one-litre pots and then on to three- or five-litre pots depending on the growth they had made. There were six pots of each variety, three of which were grown to maturity in our polytunnel with three being placed outside in mid June. All received the same regime of regular feeding”.
Brian feels the higher yields from outdoor plants was probably because the temperature was more uniform than the fluctuations experienced in the polytunnel, which can cause young fruits to abort. The superior flavour is attributable to plants growing in more natural light, while the general health of the plants is due to better utilisation of feed and consequent ability to make more use of natural light. Trials staff at Mr Fothergill’s cut back on watering as fruits reached full size as this encourages ripening.

Seven varieties in the trial were already listed by the company while the remaining 33 were assessed with a view to future introduction. Of the seven, British-bred 'Gusto Purple' had better heat flavour outdoors, 'Orange Baby' was sweeter outdoors than under cover, 'Antohi Romanian' did equally well in both environments, 'Prairie Fire' was bred for indoors, but performed very well outside, 'Orange Wonder' was slower to ripen indoors, while 'Super Chilli' and 'Razzamatazz' both ripened very well outdoors.

...I don't know what they're trying to sell me.

Why is being outside causing more uniform temperatures than a polytunnel? What's a polytunnel?

It sounds like this "outside" growing is a foreign concept and they're explaining it in marketing speak. We all know that outside works for plants.

I'm confused.

A polytunnel is a polythene greenhouse. You can see one top right of the picture.
I don't think they were trying to "sell" anything, or maybe just the concept that chillis can be grown in the UK
Actually what I thought people would comment on is the way the plants are raised, from seed to a one inch plug, then to a one litre pot and finally into either a three or five litre pot. Not too small?

A polytunnel is a polythene greenhouse. You can see one top right of the picture.
I don't think they were trying to "sell" anything, or maybe just the concept that chillis can be grown in the UK
Actually what I thought people would comment on is the way the plants are raised, from seed to a one inch plug, then to a one litre pot and finally into either a three or five litre pot. Not too small?

Well they definitely could get more yields in bigger pots almost always.

From what I can see in that picture and what I read, it looks like those are mostly ornamental types. They're usually smaller, so they tend to do alright in smaller pots.

As far as the taste and heat uniformity/improvement, I'd be willing to bet it's more based on the way humidity inside the tunnel affects the plants. I would imagine they kept it rather constant in there, while outside it would fluctuate like normal. Just a guess.

Interesting read none the less.

"From what I can see in that picture and what I read, it looks like those are mostly ornamental types. They're usually smaller, so they tend to do alright in smaller pots."

Now you have confused me! I thought that ornamental simply meant it looked good, but you couldn't eat it, and these are edible varieties.
I only ask this because I don't know, and I want to, please don't think I am disagreeing!
But is there a definition that applies to just peppers?
Please explain, as I have loads of 5 litre containers I could use for the right plants.

My understanding is that "ornamental" is just a term for plants that have been selected for looks instead of food qualities.

They may kill you, or they may be the awesomest food to ever some some awe, but somebody somewhere started growing/selling them for the sole reason that they were pretty.

I think its generally a term for plants that are grown mostly for their looks. Most of them have no taste or heat, so they aren't often eaten (but they are edible). I think in general that they're of a smaller growth habit (shorter plants). Some of the more common ones are chilly chili and Medusa (similar to the ones 3 post back in the picture).

There's a whole list here:
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/ornamental-pepper/

I've never heard of an inedible pepper. I did find this long lost thread from a ways back though. I'd listen to Potawie, he knows his stuff.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/2787-are-there-any-ornamental-peppers-un-edible/

Back