• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Chillies that surprised or impressed you in 2022 season

Hi Guys

What chillie varieties or strains impressed or surprised you in 2022 and why ??

For me the biggest surprise was the Capsicum baccatum variety Dedo de mocha I sowed it knowing it wasn't going to do what I wanted for some reason ?? It grew into a huge gangly plant in my greenhouse I kind of ignored it next thing it was covered in loads of huge green pod's that rippened to a beautiful deep red pod's it caught me by surprise by it's productivity nice taste but sadly lacking in heat ...........however it has lead me to look at hotter baccatum varieties......

The second was the japanese Takanotsume a Capsicum annuum with upward facing pod clusters it proved compact upright and narrow and productive not to mention an attractive plant in it's right but sadly not hot enough.

The third was my first Habanero variety called "Hot chocolate" a small mild Habanero 140,000 shu from (seaspring seeds uk) sown late it caught up nicely was compact and produced gorgeous dark brown pod's I simply couldn't stop looking at ! It's one of the reasons I'm trialing hotter Habanero's this season.

A fourth and final surprise was the Dorset Naga (seaspring seeds uk) the vast number of buds and flower's was impressive to say the least ! Sadly I lost many till I started misting and shaking the plant daily at which point it set fruit in good number. It has subsequently been the first super hot I've managed to over winter and already has it first flower of 2023 !

Whilst I'm not planning on growing them again this year except for the Dorset naga I did learn a thing or two and hopefully they will lead me on to more suitable varieties.......

What caught you by surprise in 2022 ?? And for what reason ??

Regards

Stephen

Fatali caught me by surprise - I managed to cook all my seeds and seedlings in the greenhouse, was caught out by an unexpected hot April day while at work - so I thought sod it, let's start again and might as well try growing superhots as well.

These didn't get sown until June, I knew that superhots needed a long time to fruit and mature, so didn't expect much to come of it.
I did get superhot peppers, not a huge amount but enough to grab seeds for this year.
The fatali was one such pepper - the smell, the taste - I love it and the winter months found me sniffing the fatali powder that SineNomine kindly sent me. They are now my number one grow. And they better do well this year or else!

I have found not to have high expectations - I don't have limitless funds nor equipment nor space in my little greenhouse, so I do what I can and keep my fingers crossed.

If it doesn't work it's no big thing, but if I does I'm chuffed to mintballs.

Chili Rayado, Chili Chilaca, Aji Mango, all did very well & were just loaded with pods.
1677340094625.png

1677339953717.png

1677339807550.png

The Farm Locoto (Growdown 2022) impressed me a lot with hundreds of flowers, all falling one after the other just like dead leaves🙄😅

More seriously, Aji Habanero was a nice surprise for me. I received the seeds quite late but decided to give it a try anyway. The plant grew quickly, reached a good size and produced well even though it was planted almost 2 months later than my other varieties. What surprised me the most was the fact that it was also my first C. baccatum to ripen and how good the flavor turned out!

@Marturo I've got seeds for Aji Mango this year - does the taste live up to their advertising?
I got these from my friend in the UK. He thought, I would like them, & he was right.
They are now one of my favorite peppers, the taste is great & tropical , the heat is just below Cayenne.

The Aji Mango plants are huge with many upright pods, they then fall down & finnish in a large pod crop.
It takes every bit of summer to get a load of pods, then they ripen to a beautiful orange color in fall.
Bring any size green pod indoors & they will ripen into a beautiful golden color. We have quart jars full of powdered Mango flakes
from only 4 plants.

We are growing this and the Aji charapita this season, I will be looking at other Aji peppers for future seasons.
My Heirloom Mexican seed stock is good for now so off on the search for the Aji peppers adventure.

Finding them is almost as fun as growing them. I did say almost . :P

1677359696909.png

Luna even likes them, sort of LOL.

1677360231957.png

Last edited:
I got these from my friend in the UK. He thought, I would like them, & he was right.
They are now one of my favorite peppers, the taste is great & tropical , the heat is just below Cayenne.

The Aji Mango plants are huge with many upright pods, they then fall down & finnish in a large pod crop.
It takes every bit of summer to get a load of pods, then they ripen to a beautiful orange color in fall.
Bring any size green pod indoors & they will ripen into a beautiful golden color. We have quart jars full of powdered Mango flakes
from only 4 plants.

We are growing this and the Aji charapita this season, I will be looking at other Aji peppers for future seasons.
My Heirloom Mexican seed stock is good for now so off on the search for the Aji peppers adventure.

Finding them is almost as fun as growing them. I did say almost . :P

1677359696909.png

Luna even likes them, sort of LOL.

1677360231957.png
@Tinkerbelle according to some, the "stumpy" version is tasting even better than the elongated one.

Back