• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilliover's Grow (Attempt) Log

So i've decided to start up a grow log to just show how i am progressing with my attemp. Currently i have the following seedling happening.

Hot Cherry
Sweet Datil
Cap Pub 1486
Bishops Hot
Orange Lantern
cap 217 hyper
po cheong
orange t scorpion
orange monzano
nagabon
peruvian white
pimenta de neyde

habanero orange
habanero yellow
habanero red
habanero choclate

Thai chilli
Cayenne red (high yield)
Store bought (unknown, very hot type)
inferno

The ones that i am attempting again are :

Choc bhut
purple tiger
primo 7 pot
BIH jolokia
Black pearl
trinidad yellow bonnets
martinique
trinidad scorpion

I have a few images below of what i am currently doing. I will be posting question regularly too. Please help me out if you have answers.

IMG_2779.jpg
Inferno from bunnings. Currently flowering.

IMG_2778.jpg

My four beautiful habaneros. Once again from bunnings. 2 currently flowering.

IMG_2803.jpg

Pic above just shows how tight i am on space. I really need more space. Apart from my chilli plants i have 3 curry leaf plants , guava currently with very small shoots, unknown either mandarin or orange and a few pots containing mangoes and lychee seedling on the verge of emerging.

IMG_2802.jpg

My alcheapo greenhouse with the little seedlings. The seedlings on the top rack are from seeds given by Nova. And the seedling on the very bottom rack are from seeds from Omri. Thanks guys.

IMG_2801.jpg

And last but not least my ever so little garden. Me and my partner decided to give some shade to the plants as they were getting scorched a bit. What yous reckon. I am also thinking of putting up a diy watering system made of PVC pipes. Current plant is as below. Any ideas or improvements as more then welcome.

The watering plant below will be closed with endcaps. Any ideas on timers. Do you think i should let the water spray out from the top or use the drip method?
Untitled-1.jpg

Anyways guys that's all for now. More to come soon.

Just purchased this. I know it's not the best quality but it's the one i can afford. After spending so much on pots, pellets, potting mix, manure, labels etc etc i really am going bankrupt on thhis new hobby.

22035_97677_F.jpg

Not bad for $50 delivered.

Damn thats pretty good for a pineapple, where did you purchase this fine piece of architecture?

My alcheapo greenhouse all set to go. Not bad for $40.

IMG_2906.jpg

And this is my bargain from ebay. Pots for $8 total. The newish looking black ones on the right of the image are mine though. The rest i got all for $8.

IMG_2908.jpg

Ok so someone tell me how long it takes for habanero's to ripen. I'm drooling seeing them like this.

IMG_2914.jpg

Got pods on red, chochlate and yellow habaneros as well.

And finally all my little ones growing up very fast.

IMG_2910.jpg

I had a similar unit years ago from Walmart and I had to cut out a vent hole near the top to let out trapped heat and moisture. The plastic also shadders if it gets too frozen, although I guess this is unlikely in OZ

Nice find with the containers........do you have to anchor the g/house down? If I had one here (which I wish) I'd have to or it would end up in my neighbors yard...

Greg.....from the "Windy City"

I don't get much wind iin my backyard only bcos i am sorrounded by other townhouses and i am at the back. BUt i still will be securing this to the fence wall on one side and pegging the other 2 sides. I've also put really heavy pots on the pvc structure itself to give it some weight.

So time for another update.

The cayenne red new plants are starting to fruit now. The overwintered plants have been giving very dimented looking pods but the new ones have some beautiful fruits on them.

IMG_2968.jpg

Then there's the inferno plant i got from bunnings. It's got some rip pods. I am planning on taste testing these today.

IMG_2969.jpg

Next on the list are the habaneros. Finally one of my orange habaneros ripened. But this ripe pod fruited after some of the still green pods i have on the plant so not sure why those ones are ripening up.

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

Yellow hab

IMG_2972.jpg

Choc Hab

IMG_2973.jpg

And finally red hab.

IMG_2974.jpg

Also one of my thai chilli plant has started fruiting as well.

IMG_2977.jpg

So far the habs, cayenne red, thai chilli, inferno are fruiting. Peruvian white & hot store are flowering so fingures crossed.

And to top it all off something not so chilli.

My ginger plants are shooting left right and center. I took a couple of shots.

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

And a bit of an update on the pest side of the garden. My larger habs have a few aphids on the leaves. Nothing serious. I shake them off and the rain and sun are doing a good job. But my cucumber plant has been hit hard. I am not sure whether i should spray the cucumber plant or allow it to be the home for the aphids so they don't bother my chilli plants.
IMG_2981.jpg

And looks who's still hanging around feasting on the aphids. Found this ladybug on a shopping troller, put her in my pocket, brough her home and she's named Dottie. Exactly 1 month ago.

IMG_2979.jpg

Great grow log, chilliover! Really diggin' the podshots; you have
some great plants growing. Good luck with the rest of your season,
ours is just starting...

Had my sorta first harvest. I have been picking off a few pods but this is what i got today.

IMG_2992.jpg

From left is Thai Chilli. I like it. It's flesy and slightly hot but hot. Then is the inferno. Very nice smell and hot too. The next 3 lots are all red cayenne. The first lot of red ones are from my overwintered plants which seem to be suffering for some reason. The second green lot is from a new plant and the 3rd green lot from another new plant. I seem to find that the 2nd and 3rd lot have different thickeness.

Below that is my orange hab. The pod is small but i have bigger ones currently ripening. Saving some for seeds. And the last peach coloured pod was meant to actuallly be a yellow hab. Turned out it's a peach hab. Yet to taste test the peach one but the orange hab has quite come oomph. A bit citrusy but very nice.

We don't get frost here but summer is officially over. It's still hot though on some days and other days it's rainy and cold. My partner loves greenchillies and gets a bad gastric problem when eating red ones. I am also saving the green chillies to make a green chilli marinade.

Looks great. As for your irrigation question...go drip. Easier more efficient than spray. Not advertising this company as I never used them but to give you an idea
http://www.dripirrigation.com/

Generally you would want a pressure regulator, y filter, and then either a solid 5/8 line and little 1/4 tubes that you place where you need and a drip head or a drip 5/8 line that has spacing of whatever you need but 12' and 18" spacing is typical.

May want misters as well depending on your climate but thats up to you mainly for some humidity.

Hey, chilliover - great little harvest there! I'm with rich, drip is much more
conservative of water, and much better at getting the water down where
you want it. DIG is one company, Rainbird is another. There are a bunch.
Most big outfits have a nice catalogue/instruction guide, which I found
very helpful when putting in my drip system.

Another little harvest.

IMG_3012.jpg

1. Red habanero - what a bite. I was sad to discover the red hab is my limit in hotness. Great taste.
2. Orange habs - love these babies.
3. Peach hab - useless. Tastes like citrusy capsicum.
4. Pervuvian white - not sure if i picked these too early. I assume they were meant to be whiter when ripe.
5. Choc habs - so so so hot. Smells deadly. Looks scary inside.
6. Inferno - This plant is pumping out pods like anything. Has quite a lot of heat as well. Great to just munch on it too.
7. Something - this grew on the red cayenne plant next to the inferno. Looks just like the inferno and tastes just like it too. Reckon it's a hybrid.
9. Po cheong - haven't tasted this yet. Will report on this later.

I repotted all my plants into bigger pots. Will leave them out for another month and them into the greenhouse they go. If i can find room in my greenhouse. I'll post a pic later.

Another little harvest.

IMG_3012.jpg

1. Red habanero - what a bite. I was sad to discover the red hab is my limit in hotness. Great taste.
2. Orange habs - love these babies.
3. Peach hab - useless. Tastes like citrusy capsicum.
4. Pervuvian white - not sure if i picked these too early. I assume they were meant to be whiter when ripe.
5. Choc habs - so so so hot. Smells deadly. Looks scary inside.
6. Inferno - This plant is pumping out pods like anything. Has quite a lot of heat as well. Great to just munch on it too.
7. Something - this grew on the red cayenne plant next to the inferno. Looks just like the inferno and tastes just like it too. Reckon it's a hybrid.
9. Po cheong - haven't tasted this yet. Will report on this later.

Did you find the Chocolate Habs to be hotter than the Red Habs?

How hot were the Peach Habs?

The Peruvian White pods in your are not ripe. The final colour ranges from cream to white depending on weather the pods are exposed to the sun or shielded from it.

Did you find the Chocolate Habs to be hotter than the Red Habs?

How hot were the Peach Habs?

The Peruvian White pods in your are not ripe. The final colour ranges from cream to white depending on weather the pods are exposed to the sun or shielded from it.

Yup chocs are a bit hotter. Has more placenta.

Peach habs ain't hot at all.

I only picked som of the peruvians. The rest are still for ripening.

Back