• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chiltepin . . . why do you torment me so!?

I've been trying to figure out what the heck variety of chiltepin I grew this year. If anyone has any good pics (and suggestions for what to do with them), I would forever be in your debt. To date, I've made tepin jelly, dried the hot little boogers and may be making hot sauce. Being completely unfamiliar with this variety, I could use as many suggestions as possible.

I've been trying to figure out what the heck variety of chiltepin I grew this year. If anyone has any good pics (and suggestions for what to do with them), I would forever be in your debt. To date, I've made tepin jelly, dried the hot little boogers and may be making hot sauce. Being completely unfamiliar with this variety, I could use as many suggestions as possible.

There's a set of photos on Varieties of Chiltepin at ChiliCult.com.

they are very good. i usually make a pepper vinegar to put on things. that is very popular here in the south . 2 years ago i did chiltepin , tepin and the south african bird pepper. i just got the cornbread idea from a few guys on here that might be good. anyway , that's just my 2 cents.

RTF:
I grew 5 plants this year ...for the first time....and I love them.
I have dried about 500 or so,they work great in baked cornbread,which seems to soften the seeds and use a couple of them at almost every meal instead of black pepper.
In fact, I went out and bought a small pill box,so I can carry a dozen or so with me when we go out to eat.
Which gets me more than a few stares whenever I pull them out of the pill box and crumble on my meal.
I also started fermenting a pint of tepin mash about 6 weeks ago, using around a pound (approx.350). My plan is to let it age until Christmas eve....then make some "Monsta Mash" bloody mary's for me and Mrs. Claus.(ho...ho...ho)

How did your jelly turn out? Mind sharing your recipe?
I stripped all my plants yesterday afternoon....since it was supposed to freeze last night. So I've got 75-100 in the fridge, and need to either make something with them or crank up the dehydrator one last time. (They're far to good to go to waste)
Best of luck to you
CM

The variety I have grows in a horizontal spreading manner than vertically. I was told it is a true wild tepin from Texas but wanted to confirm.

Here's the recipe I used for the jelly, however I did modify it a bit :hell: :

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) whole chiltepin peppers
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
7 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
6 oz. Certo liquid fruit pectin (2 pouches)
4 drops red food color
9 8
oz.(1/2 pint) Ball canning jars
a square of cheese cloth
2 large pots (8 quarts or larger)
a metal strainer

Steps:
  • Sterilize jars and lids and bands by washing and then boiling for 5 minutes.
  • Chop bell pepper
  • Mix both peppers in food processor with a bit of the vinegar and chop. (see tips if dried peppers)
  • Mix the sugar, peppers and vinegar in 8 quart pot (or larger)
  • Bring mixture to a rolling boil and maintain for 2 minutes
  • Remove from heat and pour through a cheese cloth lined strainer into another pot.
  • Cool 5 minutes
  • Add Certo and food color
  • Bring back to a boil for 45-60seconds
  • Pour into jars leaving about 1/2 inch space at the top.
  • Put on lids and tighten the band.
  • As they jars cool, continue to tightening the bands.
  • Refrigerate after opening.

I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers so I substituted some Fresnos for a bit of the bell. My first try seemed a bit on the vinegarie-side, so maybe adjust accordingly. Honestly, I have been enjoying them dried and crushed on steak, mac-n-cheese and just popping the little buggers in my mouth for a cap fix! The cornbread sounds awesome, so that is my next adventure!!! Thanks everyone!

The variety I have grows in a horizontal spreading manner than vertically. I was told it is a true wild tepin from Texas but wanted to confirm.

Here's the recipe I used for the jelly, however I did modify it a bit :hell: :

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) whole chiltepin peppers
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
7 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
6 oz. Certo liquid fruit pectin (2 pouches)
4 drops red food color
9 8
oz.(1/2 pint) Ball canning jars
a square of cheese cloth
2 large pots (8 quarts or larger)
a metal strainer

Steps:
  • Sterilize jars and lids and bands by washing and then boiling for 5 minutes.
  • Chop bell pepper
  • Mix both peppers in food processor with a bit of the vinegar and chop. (see tips if dried peppers)
  • Mix the sugar, peppers and vinegar in 8 quart pot (or larger)
  • Bring mixture to a rolling boil and maintain for 2 minutes
  • Remove from heat and pour through a cheese cloth lined strainer into another pot.
  • Cool 5 minutes
  • Add Certo and food color
  • Bring back to a boil for 45-60seconds
  • Pour into jars leaving about 1/2 inch space at the top.
  • Put on lids and tighten the band.
  • As they jars cool, continue to tightening the bands.
  • Refrigerate after opening.

I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers so I substituted some Fresnos for a bit of the bell. My first try seemed a bit on the vinegarie-side, so maybe adjust accordingly. Honestly, I have been enjoying them dried and crushed on steak, mac-n-cheese and just popping the little buggers in my mouth for a cap fix! The cornbread sounds awesome, so that is my next adventure!!! Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the recipe...I'll be giving it a try.
I had to laugh when you commented about just popping the little buggers in your mouth".
I have started doing the same thing a lot of times, even at meals....rather than having the cap on my fingers(and then scratch the wrong place)

This is what I do with tepins....dry them and crush them on food.

Wash your hands after dinner........

crop6828.jpg

This is what I do with tepins....dry them and crush them on food.

Wash your hands after dinner........

crop6828.jpg
As always, great photo there sir!

You are twice the man I am if you eat those little puppies whole on dinner. I dried mine and then crushed them up. Just had a bunch on some sweet corn and boy that was delicious!!! I need to remind myself that the tepins are SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than my crushed goat horns and don't need nearly as much...

DAN

After they're dried, I put them in the coffee grinder(I have a really nice one just for peppers), do a rough grind, and practically put them on everything I eat. I filled a shaker with them and brought it to work for pizza, soup, etc, and the shaker was empty within 2 weeks. Pequins and Tepins are the best tasting, all-around pepper I know.

One of the advantages of small dried chiles is the picante is easy to control unlike using a whole habanero. I crush however many doesn't hurt because they are picante.

Because they are small and thin-walled, they are easy to dry. Hard to get the seeds and placenta out......

I use pequins and tepins daily in my peugeot chile mill grinder and use it on just about everything. The earthy flavor is not overpowering which is good for adding heat without altering flavors too much, and the heat does not last very long

http://www.salt-and-pepper-mills-plus.co.uk/productfamily.php/family__88__Peugeot+Vend%F4me+Chilli+Mill%2C+Natural

I use pequins and tepins daily in my peugeot chile mill grinder and use it on just about everything. The earthy flavor is not overpowering which is good for adding heat without altering flavors too much, and the heat does not last very long

http://www.salt-and-pepper-mills-plus.co.uk/productfamily.php/family__88__Peugeot+Vend%F4me+Chilli+Mill%2C+Natural

I've been trying to figure out how to describe the flavor and aroma of tepins. I described them to a friend once as having almost a floral aroma. An earthy, floral aroma sounds about right...

Back