• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Chiltepin's Chillin'-n-Grillin'

SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATES!

Sunday, Oscar Night.  Wife talked me into Baby Backs.  Enjoy!

Method:

Weber 22'
Kingsford indirect, 25 on the side to begin.

This recipe will guarantee juicy fall-off-the-bone ribs.  I'm gonna finish it with a small sauce pan of Sweet Baby Ray's but you use what you like for bbq sauce :-)

1. Good meat.  Find a neighborhood meat purveyor.  Get to know the owner.  If local market get to know the butcher on first name basis.
  2. Remove the sheet of skin on the backside of the slab.  This is one key to tender ribs.  Work a knife under it and use a paper towel to remove the entire sheet.
  3. Your favorite rub.  My rib rub recipe below.
  4. Smoking wood:  Apple
  5. Patience.  On the grill at 1pm and brought off at 5:45pm
  6. Spritz every 1/2 hour a mix of 4:1 apple juice and ACV.  This mix gives depth of flavor, contributes to a nice finishing color but most importantly moisture for the meat!
  7. Add 8 coals on the hour.  Turn the slabs on the hour!!
Chiltepin's Rib Rub:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika (a good reason to grow paprika peppers!)
1 - Tablespoon black pepper
1 - Tablespoon salt
1 - Tablespoon chili powder
1 - Tablespoon garlic powder
1 - Tablespoon onion powder
1 - teaspoon cayenne
1- teaspoon dried basil
1 - teaspoon dried yellow mustard

Tip o' the Hat to Kentishman for the Szegedi 80 Paprika for the Potato Salad!

My Tabasco peppers in vinegar.  Loving these... similar to Trappey's.

BEFORE:

EoYlGyGh.jpg

AFTER:

EJ9kyY1h.jpg

4R1LoEJ.jpg

Daaaaummm!! I want to wallow in that finished pic. Nice work!!

Oh snap!! you busted out the Seghesio even?!?

:dance: Sonoma co. FTW!!!!! :dance:

Wow...you put some nice color on those ribs....they look real tasty.

I put a brisket on the grill this past weekend.  My wife sourced a 6-8 lb flattie -- sorry, not the packer.  For whatever reason, I put it on the grill at 2pm. What a dummy.  At 165˚ I wrapped it in foil and brought it up internal temp.  Some 11 hours later it reached 195˚.  Sorry Chris! No 203˚  Next time, brudda.  But, when I brought it off stuck it inside an ice chest to rest and let the juices return.  Had leftovers tonight.  Bought some Deli Rye at, where else... the Deli.  Sliced thin and washed in hot au jus with some brown spicy mustard!  Stacked high New York-style and my gawd, it was tender!  Here are pics of the original smoke.

on the Weber at 200˚ - 225˚

57lakbVh.jpg

HoHpYYAh.jpg

Here is the token pepper pic.  Weber thru the pepper patch!

01gwLOmh.jpg

Finished Brisket:

yqn63qgh.jpg

hPFE2WAh.jpg

Back