• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chimayo, anyone?

I was making a red chile sauce for freezing last weekend and found the remnants (about 1/4 lb) of a bag of hot Chimayo powder that someone gifted me a few years back. It came from Lulu's Farm in Brighton CO, and being a pepper I hadn't heard too much about (anything really) on this site, I went a-researchin'.

From what I learned, the lb of powder I had was likely what the natives in Chimayo NM call "knockoffs" because of various things like location, elevation and tradition. It was still insanely good.

I also found a number of seedsters who sell Chimayo seed, including Sandia, who, other than a farmer in Chimayo, I guess I'd trust the most to supply genuine Chimayo seed.

Anybody here grow them, for powder, for flake, for whatever? I'd like to try a couple plants next season, which may well be my last in the Red River of the Nort Primordial Ooze Belt.

Mebbe I be over stressing on this, mebbe de seed be mostly widely available and true. 

I've grown it multiple times.  Makes a great red chile powder and flake.  It's worth growing.  I've got lots of seed.  The specific variety I've grown is called Chimayo Nativo.  Original seeds from J&L Gardens, Espanola, NM.  PM me.   

Chimayo has been around quite a while. I first grew it in 2009. Beth (Peppermania) carried it and described it as:

"Chimayo is an early maturing highly flavored medium-hot chile originating from the New Mexican village of Chimayo. The pods grow to approximately 10cm long and are an excellent all round pepper for roasting, making chile powder, ristras, sauces and salsa."

If I was to purchase seeds, I'd check with John @ Midwest Chileheads. New Mex chiles is his jam.

https://www.midwestchileheads.com/products/chimayo?_pos=1&_sid=c5fcbbf3f&_ss=r

Back