• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chimayo peppers

I love cooking with them.No heat just flavor.Same with guajilla peppers.I grow every year.

I only got a few pods, but they had an excellent sweet smokey aroma to enjoy while air drying. No heat. The powder is also aromatic, mild and great on potatoes! Hixs, how do you cook with it?

SS Tup, I've got some leftover seeds from last year Native Seeds Search, send me a PM.

Grew them last year for the first time. Medium small plant with about 2" long pods with modest yield. However, the flavor is outstanding. I dried all of mine for powder. As ^ mentioned, wonderful smokey flavor with no heat. I will be growing more this season and think they will grow good in pots. Other wife friendly chiles to consider are tobago seasoning and fresno. I've been able to move mine up to serranos in salsa and powder.

Tobago seasoning is on the list as well as a few other seasoning peppers. Drier huh, well I hope they do ok, it's plenty hot, but so humid some days you have to swim to your car. Well either way i am going to give them a go... wish me luck.

I grew them last year, seeds from JandLGardens.com. The only chiles that can be called Chimayo are the ones grown in Chimayo, NM. That's why J and L call them Nativo chiles. I have to tell you though, these do have some heat,so if you get the real thing, don't take a big bite, you might be caught off guard.

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=218

By the way, although these folks don't have many peppers to offer, they do have a great tomato selection and are great folks to boot.

Landrace strain from Chimayo, NM. Seeds are tightly controlled by co-op and difficult to come by direct from the source. Got aledged chimayo seeds from a store in Albuquerque couple years back, they weren't. Peppermania seems to have the real deal (obviously not grown in NM).

guajilla,chimaya,peppadew and tobago are are good if you can leave out the heat.I grow them every year and love them dried,fresh and frozen in a mix for dinners.Work great for dry rub ingrediants for taste.

Landrace strain from Chimayo, NM. Seeds are tightly controlled by co-op and difficult to come by direct from the source. Got aledged chimayo seeds from a store in Albuquerque couple years back, they weren't. Peppermania seems to have the real deal (obviously not grown in NM).

I googled Chimayo chili, and The Native Hispanic Institute has a youtube video on Chimayo's. They look longer
than the one peppermania has. I would like to try the J & L gardens Chimayo, and compare it to peppermania's.
I will check out the J&L.

I googled Chimayo chili, and The Native Hispanic Institute has a youtube video on Chimayo's. They look longer
than the one peppermania has. I would like to try the J & L gardens Chimayo, and compare it to peppermania's.
I will check out the J&L.

The gravity in Houston is EPIC.

Wait. No. It's the HUMIDITY. Maybe that's it.

Cool. Thanks, S. I have had the pleasure of spending time in Chimayo. Some gorgeous summer thunderstorms at night.

Nice. It IS pretty amazing when the monsoonal T-storms come into the desert Southwest. After a long slog of blistering high temps, here comes some amazing lightning and (hopefully) rain early July-ish. The high desert smell becomes lush and tropical and I bet chile growth goes off the chart right then.

I'm excited, but it says from 5k of elev. I'm like 40 ... wonder if it will work....

Give it a shot with a least one plant! It will be interesting. You're going against the odds with that elevation and moisture. But peppers have been spread around the world, maybe they'll like Florida. Those seeds I sent you from the Native Seeds/Search are from Chimayo, so they say. They must be part of the co-op that support the 'real deal.'

Back