• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chimayo peppers

Funny. Small world. I still have a baggie of soil from the Sanctuario in my night stand. :)

Edit: Just finished watching. You're right, Gary. Well done. Thanks for sharing. The woman in charge of the project (spokeswoman) is sharp, too. Very good at what she's doing.

Wow, Eric, that is so cool that you have some of the actual Holy Ground...I need to make a pilgrimage over there...

There's something about the idea of those Northern New Mexico landrace chiles that really gets to me...It's such a personal thing to the growers. They are true chile heads.

There's a thread on these chiles from a while back:

http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

I tried some Chimayo seeds last year but they didn't start. I did get some Nambe Pueblo seeds (from Richard "chileaddict") to go, and am planting a whole 12-plant row from those seeds this year...I'm not sure if my climate is good for the old heirloom New Mexico types—I have successfully grown Anaheim, NuMex Española Improved, and Lumbre, but those just aren't the same thing. Season 2012 will tell the tale...

S.S. The Chimayo chile is no hype, in fact, it is quite revered in Northern New Mexico. I spent a few days "in the field" a couple of years ago in the Santa Fe to Taos area to learn more about these chiles and collect some of the seeds. I would love to give you some Chimayo seeds I got from a local farmer's fresh pods, but so far, they have not produced for Windchicken or me. I also spent a day on a small farm on the Nambe Pueblo nearby, and the seeds I got there germinated quite well. These are native chiles that have only grown in a very high altitude in cooler weather. The taste of these chiles is unique and the one's I grew last year had little heat. Here is a little more info on the Chimayo seeds I got from this local farmer (Chencho Ochoa) at the Santa Fe market. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you some.

http://farmersmarket...ort..._311.html

If they grow as fast as they sprout, them Damn... I put them on a filter on the 14th, and this morn, 2 have broke open so there in soil now...

Now I can feel the season going, S.S.!

The Northern New Mexico varieties are some really short-season chiles. Last year Nambe Pueblo was the first of all to sprout for me. After only a few weeks they had flowers:

Nambe 15Apr2011.jpg

im going to start a few in a week's time. This thread is very informational for me and i did not know that they were highly sought after.

Nice lookin plant there...I put 4 seeds to sprout, they did... put in some soil, and they have their heads up, with helmets still on waiting for battle... i hope they make it.

I grew some last year, seeds were from semillas.de if I remember correctly. I wasn't impressed with the flavor at all, but I might try again with seeds from another source.

I've grown them from 4 different seed sources and they were all the same great taste, they just never grow strong or productive for me :(

Potawie, the one in the picture you posted looks like it has a lot of peppers. That looks very
similar to the one peppermania sells. I am going to grow beth's chimayo and the native chili.
It's very humid here so don't know how well they will perform.

Back