• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Choco Habanero / Habnero Tree breeding

OK folks I know many of you are pros at crossing peppers.. I want to pick your minds about crossing a Habanero tree and making it in to a choo Habanero tree... I have a buddy that took his own life and this is my way of remembering him and honoring him. He was a habanero lover. So I am gonna make it a little bit of him and a little bit of me. Please post up what I am getting my self in to as I am still a newb at this growing and have never crossed any thing. Thnks guys.

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(

Here is a simple cross-breeding guide:

http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

If you are looking to create a new variety and stabilize it, you are looking at a lot of work and it will take years, however, you could cross the two and hope for the best that the F1 (first generation plant) will show the desired traits you are looking for (a large tree-like chocolate "habanero"?) and grow it as a once-off memorial plant? Once you grow out the F2 (second generation--seeds from the F1) though, you will get a lot of variation in how each plant looks. If you wanted to grow it on, I would suggest growing a few F2 plants at minimum and then select the one that has most traits and then grow that one on to the F3, etc. It takes about 8 generations to stabilize a hybrid.

Gasi's link is a good one... it's a nice idea for a memorial. Once you make the cross all you have to do is grow out the seed, you could just keep it going no matter the phenotype, just as a memorial, but as for the characteristics, it would be pure chance... which can be fun too. Good luck.

Back