• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Chocolate Bhut Cross?

I picked these two pods from the same chocolate Bhut plant last night.
One looks like most other chocolate Bhut pods I've seen, the other one looks more redish like a Douglah.
Now I have a Douglah pepper growing about 50 feet away from this chocolate bhut plant.
Is it possible that it crossed? Or would that only show up in the seeds that I would plant next year?

Here are the pics..
1010111303-00.jpg

1010111304-00.jpg

crosses are noticed in "seeds" planted from cross pollinated so it would have been where those seeds came from possibly.

I don't know for sure but does chocolate bhut go red-> then dark brown/red

so is it not fully ripe?

Good observation I also have seen both the light green and the red insides of this variety Chocolate Bhut Jolokia before and was wondering the same thing Ratdz. I have a hard time saving seed from both types together because it doesn't look like just different stages of maturity to me. Wish I knew. ;)

The inside of the pod on the right reminds me of the dark (dark chocolate) brown long hab that I'm growing this year.
The inside walls are brown, middle of the skin and part of the placenta are deep red and the scent is unique, kind of a apple-wood smoked scent followed by a subtle citrus scent similar to the "bonnet"......not a super hot but a hot hab.....I'm growing a few extra of these next season.

those are Black Naga Jolokia from the look of them

they look exactly like the ones im growing this year
is the skin a touch thinner than a chocolate bhut if they are that would make them BLK NAGAS
hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

those look like Black Naga Jolokia from the look of them

they look exactly like the ones im growing this year i could b wrong
is the skin a touch thinner than a chocolate bhut? if they are that would make them BLK NAGAS
hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

IMO - the pods with the red guts are just more mature. I've seen it in Chocolate Habs as well as Chocolate Bhuts. We need Potawie to chime in.

Well it may be a maturity issue, not sure.
I do know that the red one is older/more ripe than the yellow one.

However, once we tried the two, there is no comparison.
The yellow one was pretty hot, not a lot of flavor and didn't last very long.
The red one, hit very hard right away, lasted quite awhile, had a pretty strong citrusy flavor.
However it didn't compare heat wise to any Douglah I've ever tasted.
To me, a douglah comes on slow, then keeps building heat until you can't stand it.
I still believe that a douglah is hotter than a Bhut. IMHO

Back