• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Bhutlah woes

solid7 said:
Unfortunately, with DWC, even with a fairly healthy air space, they'll seek out the water level.  DWC plants have some of the most massive root systems that I've ever seen.  5 gallon buckets are no match for a healthy root system.

I'm quickly learning this lesson now.. I have one plant that I started mid march and it's already basically filled the 5 gallon bucket with roots, to the point that I can only fit a little over 2 gallons of water in the bucket and I have to top it off at least every day if not more often. 

badmoon692004 said:
I'm quickly learning this lesson now.. I have one plant that I started mid march and it's already basically filled the 5 gallon bucket with roots, to the point that I can only fit a little over 2 gallons of water in the bucket and I have to top it off at least every day if not more often. 

My suggestion would be that you convert it to a RDWC system.  Basically, make a satellite reservoir that holds more nutrients, and cycle the solution through the bucket with a pump.  You can get rid of your air stone and pump, in that scenario.

20190601_082333.jpg
This turned into quite an interesting read. On the bright side, I placed two empty 5 gallon buckets in front of my planted DWC bucket and it seemed to help. I also changed out my nutes and ph'd the new solution. the leaves look sad still but gained some green. and new leaves are slowly poking through. I take that as a good sign since it has undergone quite a significant change relatively quickly. Going from soild to hydro and being trimmed on top and below plus the summer heat and humidity. She is still surviving.

I have recently harvested a few pods now from this plant that had ripened to varying degrees, I went ahead and cut them open to harvest the seeds prior to drying. The larger pods seem to produce an abundance of seeds, however after harvesting and testing about half a dozen pods, I am unimpressed with the heat. There is some spice there, but more on par with a hot cayenne pepper versus the claimed reaper heat. I know that chillies can vary alot in heat due to growing conditions, environmental, and pollination variables. However, this is supposedly an extreme heat pepper, but my simple ghost peppers blow it out of the water with heat and oil production. 
Any thoughts? 
Could it have to do with picking the pods prematurely?
Is it worth trying to grow it out?

First pods often have less than stellar heat, especially if growing conditions were not optimal.  Immature pods typically have lower heat levels, also.  Also, hydroponics can sometimes produce lower heat pods - particularly when the plants have grown very fast.
By the time the plant is producing consistently, you should notice the real heat.

SpikeA said:
Is it worth trying to grow it out?

That's your call.  Chocolate Bhutlah are wickedly nasty hot.  I find their flavor to be somewhat limiting, although the dried powder is good for some things.  In my opinion, it's not a very versatile pepper.
But you'll know for sure when you've got a proper specimen.  The heat is over the top, and instantaneous.  There is no slow build.

solid7 said:
First pods often have less than stellar heat, especially if growing conditions were not optimal.  Immature pods typically have lower heat levels, also.  Also, hydroponics can sometimes produce lower heat pods - particularly when the plants have grown very fast.
By the time the plant is producing consistently, you should notice the real heat.
Glad you said this cause my ghost peppers are hotter than the pods I got off of this CB plant. Color is nice but heat just is not there.
Will wait and see if I can nurse it back to health and get a propper ripening on it first.
Thanks!

Back