food Chocolate chip cookies with pepper?

So...I'm planning on making chocolate chip cookies and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to go about incorporating peppers into the batter?

Chocolate and heat naturally complement each other, so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Depending upon the nature of the recipe, I use powders and/or chopped up rehydrated dried pods. Haven't used fresh in a cookie yet. For something like a chocolate chip, probably powders are your best bet.

yep- powder is the ticket... one of the bakers at one of my farmer's markets gets bhut powder from me and uses it in chocolate chip cookies.

yep- powder is the ticket... one of the bakers at one of my farmer's markets gets bhut powder from me and uses it in chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks! Any suggestions on powders I could get in a normal grocery store? I have plenty of cayenne, but I'm guessing it may not be enough?

Thanks! Any suggestions on powders I could get in a normal grocery store? I have plenty of cayenne, but I'm guessing it may not be enough?
"Enough" is relative. Like anything, you can use more or less to suit your own taste. I'd recommend experimenting with cayenne since it's relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain.

Depending on your area you may be able to find habanero powder at the grocery store. The hotter the pepper used the less you have to use to add some heat.

I have never done spicy cookies but I have used powder to give other baked goods a kick. I had to add lots more 7 pot powder than I expected to get heat into some cornbread. If you use powder, it will make the full cookie uniformly spicy.

Another related idea is to use flakes or even fresh chopped peppers. That would look pretty cool because your cookies would be speckled with chocolate chips AND peppers. Plus this would result in cookies that are not uniformly spicy - the dough would not take up as much heat, so your cookies would have a different character. If I was going to make spicy cookies I think I would go with spicy flakes with seeds removed - I think thai, cayenne, tepin, pequin, etc would be great choices, habanero or hotter would be great too depending on your preferences/tolerance.

One final thing you could do is to make your own spicy chocolate chips by melting chocolate and adding chile powder etc. Then drip the melted chocolate on wax paper or something to let it cool down back down - and toss those into your cookies. Might be a lot of work forming "chips" though...

Back