• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chocolate Fatalii Savina (Pics)

I picked up "Fatalii x Red Savina" from a member here. Two of the plants appeared to grow true, but the third looks more like a Chocolate Fatalii or Moruga? It's a dark chocolate brown, with almost a hint of purple, and slightly larger than the fatalli/red savina on average.  I have nothing else like it growing this year.

Here's the brown "chocolate" variant next to the ones that grew true.
9863736366_0b8f067372_c.jpg

On the plant.
9863735556_99b6db33ab_c.jpg

Another closeup.
9863835083_191b85d2b1_c.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts!

Not sure where you got the seed from. If they come from me in 2011 there were no chocolate peppers anywhere near them. I have only had 2 variants, red and yellow. Red starts with the Red Savina flavor with a dash of fatalii on the back end and the Yellow is just the opposite. I like the yellow because it starts wit Fatalii flavor and the back end is a mild Red Savina flavor that doesn't over power.

If they came from another source then it is hard to say. They look more Choc habish.

Justaguy said:
Not sure where you got the seed from. If they come from me in 2011 there were no chocolate peppers anywhere near them. I have only had 2 variants, red and yellow. Red starts with the Red Savina flavor with a dash of fatalii on the back end and the Yellow is just the opposite. I like the yellow because it starts wit Fatalii flavor and the back end is a mild Red Savina flavor that doesn't over power.If they came from another source then it is hard to say. They look more Choc habish.
Thanks for your thoughts. They are not yours. I spoke with the seed supplier, and the only possible crosses are choc bhut or choc hab (good guess). I haven't grown choc Habs before - these are larger and more wrinkled than my other habs (orange and caribbean red). I'm going to try one today to try and get more clues. Perhaps they are not a cross and just large choc Habs?

have you any pics of them cut open?
the plant they came from what was it supposed to have been,
I think they look great, have you tasted them, what's the heat and flavour like?????

JungleRain said:
have you any pics of them cut open?e
the plant they came from what was it supposed to have been,
I think they look great, have you tasted them, what's the heat and flavour like?????

Here are 4 of them in the middle of bhut jolokia (left) and fatalii/red savina cross (what they were supposed to be) for reference.  Their size is pretty consistent with the fatalli/red savina.  Some are pointy, and some are fat and stubby.  I think it's either a cross or a straight up chocolate habanero - which I've never grown or had before.  The seeds came from someone who also grows chocolate habanero, so perhaps one got mixed in.

9889660675_ff43bca4e2_c.jpg

Here is one cut open.

9889670836_fe6fab97ed_c.jpg

I'm no expert taster, but it's definitely hotter than a standard habanero, and I like the taste better.  It also didn't have that distinctive orange hab smell.  What do you think?

there's really no way of telling !00% what was crossed with what unless it was an intentional cross...
maybe a Habanero choc seed got mixed up or the plants could have been open pollinated
and the chocolate phenotype is showing up now???????????

With all this talk of chocolate variants, I thought I'd bump my "Chocolate Fatalii Savina" post. The F2s are currently busy growing, and the F1 mother was an overwinter survivor. Now taking orders !!!! I'll be rich I tell you, rich beyond my wildest dreams!! :)

Back