• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense chocolate Habanero review

Yesterday night I tried out the Chocolate hab. It had a so so Citrus/ fertilzer Taste,
Not exactly what I was expecting. Heat level I guess would be milder than a Orange Hab
It did not even bother my tounge. I guess Since it is very close to the Other Habs genetically
this could be why?

I will Give another review as soon as the other ones ripen out. Im wondering if this winter weather is effecting taste.
I will have to say, I thought this would replace my Scotch Bonnets, but for now they remain Flavor king!

I'm thinking you don't have a real Chocolate Habanero, because my cousin hooked me up with a pod that his friend grew, and it had the most UNIQUE smell and taste ever - highly aromatic. If would ever make it into a sauce, it would taste like a pungent chocolate BBQ sauce. That's the Chocolate Habanero.

This could possibly be the case, but I have had a few other pepper varieties, that I had been growing since spring, that since the weather got cold, the flavors have been off...... Not to mention my Jolokia pods that have sprouted post october have the same issue........

This could possibly be the case, but I have had a few other pepper varieties, that I had been growing since spring, that since the weather got cold, the flavors have been off...... Not to mention my Jolokia pods that have sprouted post october have the same issue........

Could be that you have the wrong variety, or perhaps the weather like you've mentioned. Eep.

I have always been under the impression that the chocolate Habanero is the hottest of it's brethren. I know cold weather can have an effect on the heat of a pepper, follows that the taste may not be the same either. Just keep eating them you're sure to find at least one hot one. ;)

Papadaca, what kind of SB's are you growing? Just curious. Also regarding the choc Hab, I agree with what someone else said, the few I've tried were definately hotter than regular habs, no doubt about it. The flavor reminded me of SB's in some ways, but it's really different experience all its own.

Thats neither here nor there, cause I think you've pegged the issue already. Weather can affect taste....its been a crap shoot with my own plants so a far as cold is concerned. Some improved in flavor while others didnt.

Back