• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Habanero

I was at the grocery store last weekend and decided to get some habs. As usual, their big crate was chock full of unripened green habs. Last time I got a few green pods every one ripened within a week to either orange or red, so I decided I'd grab 10 of them and let them ripen up. After a few days 3 of them started to ripen, two of them were chocolates! Since they were insanely cheap (2.99/lb) I decided to go back and grab about 20 more of them. So far 7 or 8 of them have ripened, all but one have been chocolates. At that price, I might go back and get another pound or two and make some sauce. The other pepper in the picture has bumpy skin and kind of looks like an unripened bhut indian carbon. It has no smell yet, so I'm not sure what it is, but I'm eager for that to ripen up.
IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

Nice I picked up a couple pounds for mash, they were ripe ones. I went back and the lady said no one bought them and she threw um out and said she wouldn't get them since they didn't sell. I did save a hundred seeds or so. have one going now, but not ripe yet...

That sucks that they ended up getting wasted, mainstream shoppers probably thought they were rotten or something! How did the mash turn out, or is it still fermenting? I was thinking about getting another pound to either make a mash or make some cherry or blueberry habanero barbecue sauce to can.

Still hanging out. i need to get some PH test strips. I also have a lot of fresh ones to deal with, so it will percolate a while longer.

Back