• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate habs

I'll get some pics up tomorrow....
Had my first multi-pod harvest from one of my two surviving chocolate hab plants.... Waited for this harvest to check one of the pods out.... I got a surprise....

I cut into one, had a moment of disappointment as my first glimpse didn't show any seeds, then a moment of regret as I turned it to get a better look inside, liquid moving around inside.... Really? All of the supers I've cut into, the oil was either in pockets or so thick it didn't move.... I let it run out, dripped on the plate, it was too thick to be water.... Put the pod on my tongue, whoa.... Cut a piece off, started chewing it, instant hiccups and pain, tongue and gums.... I haven't had anything that intense so fast....
Is that normal for chocolate habs? I've had ghosts, Butch T's, bbg7's, sbj7s and it was pretty close to my Butch T's, but this was a good 10 minutes of tongue and gum pain that continued at a weaker level for another 30 minutes, compared to maybe 10 minutes total and not nearly as painful as the Butch T....

Snapped a few pics on my phone of the insides, so the oil isn't as clear as I hoped, and maybe 10 seeds total.... I'll get them up tomorrow....

Yea, I have had some Chocolate Habs which have been really juicy.  I have had some with brutal heat but only lasting 5-8 minutes before calming down compared to the others you mentioned which left me in pain for approx 20 mins.  

Yeah choco habs are a bit hotter than the regular orange ones. I can only comment on the one's I've grown but my choco's are pretty intense and almost to the level of the ghost I have but the burn last's a lot longer. Still, my favorite as far as habs go.

Thanks for all of the replies.... I'll have to see if maybe it was just that pod that was way hotter than I was expecting....

yup, they're hot... I'm growing them for the first time this season... they're on my list of top 5 for sure .. flavor, heat, productivity... all good

Top pepper for me and one I'll grow every year.

Large jar, 80 chocolate habs pressure cooked with a bit of salt. Will be a wonderful sauce in a year

Im really surprised to see people comparing the heat level of a Congo to a ghost.  Agreed theyre a good deal hotter than orange Habs but Ghosts are in a different league.

Topsmoke said:
Im really surprised to see people comparing the heat level of a Congo to a ghost.  Agreed theyre a good deal hotter than orange Habs but Ghosts are in a different league.
It's a different burn profile, and a year or so since I've had a ghost, but I'd still go as far to say the chocolate hab I tried was on par with the ghosts I've tried....
I think some still comes down to preferences and tastes.... Had a buddy who would eat whole ghosts, suffer through it and everything. We sampled a Butch T, just an 8th of a pod and he was in worse shape than a whole ghost, but to me, the Butch T was less than the ghost....
Maybe it makes a difference, apart from losing all but these two plants, it was a pretty carefree and hands-off season.... Didn't feed them other than everything that went into the bed before planting them, only had to water once a month or so, and most of those if I waited a few hours, rain came in, I had to pick off and end a stink bug or two and I'm letting a hornworm have a buffet on it in an effort to find the stronger plant to overwinter.... We had drought conditions here for the majority of pod growth and ripening, I only watered once during that period. Maybe I got lucky with the proper conditions to reach the maximum end of the scale of these....

I ate a choc hab last week that was about the size of a golf ball and I didn't think it would be much worse than an orange hab.  I learned quickly, instant hick-ups after swallowing and a crazy mouth burn that lasted about 10-15 minutes.  Was a good tasting pepper regardless.   I've eaten a raw ghost before and this was pretty close in my opinion.

SBt1O8o.jpg

CJR said:
I ate a choc hab last week that was about the size of a golf ball and I didn't think it would be much worse than an orange hab.  I learned quickly, instant hick-ups after swallowing and a crazy mouth burn that lasted about 10-15 minutes.  Was a good tasting pepper regardless.   I've eaten a raw ghost before and this was pretty close in my opinion.

I ate a choc hab last week with my tacos, The taco truck I frequent for lunch was kind enough to throw on grill for about 60 secs to soften it up.  That pins and needles burn can be pretty extreme, it was a painful 3-5 minutes.  I wont say its Ghost heat but damn those stingy pins and needles sure can throw you for a loop.  Some people just dont enjoy that type of burn compared to a superhot which is a lot different.  Don't under estimate the Choc Hab, they can put a hurt on you! 

rhm3769 said:
It's a different burn profile, and a year or so since I've had a ghost, but I'd still go as far to say the chocolate hab I tried was on par with the ghosts I've tried....
I think some still comes down to preferences and tastes.... Had a buddy who would eat whole ghosts, suffer through it and everything. We sampled a Butch T, just an 8th of a pod and he was in worse shape than a whole ghost, but to me, the Butch T was less than the ghost....
Maybe it makes a difference, apart from losing all but these two plants, it was a pretty carefree and hands-off season.... Didn't feed them other than everything that went into the bed before planting them, only had to water once a month or so, and most of those if I waited a few hours, rain came in, I had to pick off and end a stink bug or two and I'm letting a hornworm have a buffet on it in an effort to find the stronger plant to overwinter.... We had drought conditions here for the majority of pod growth and ripening, I only watered once during that period. Maybe I got lucky with the proper conditions to reach the maximum end of the scale of these....
I grow and enjoy Morugas and have still had jalapenos that made me cry.  This is my 3rd year I think growing Congos and my first growing straight ghosts, I wouldnt want to eat either one whole but if i had to it would def be the congo.  The funny thing is I was just thinking Ghost/Choco Hab might be a good combo for a sauce.

Back