• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

snack-food Chocolate Plague

A friend bought a bottle.  I think from Ebay.  Had a taste.  I loved it.  It is thick with chunks and seeds.  Not really to the point of being a puree, but you really gotta shake the bottle good each time to distribute the chunks evenly.  Thing is, it is not nearly as hot as I thought it would be.

The thing contains nothing but Steven McLaurin's chocolate bhutlah and vinigar, which many feel is hotter than the Carolina Reaper.  So I thought the thing would absolutely floor me.  It is hot, it is very hot, but it is no where neer as hot as CoJohn's Carolina Reaper puree, which I think takes plaque off your teeth.  Hell, maybe even enamal. 

A while ago, i read that Ed Currie was moving towards toned down hot sauces so more people could enjoy them.  I wonder if maybe they cut some of the plecenta / seeds out to tone this thing down.  Maybe even rince the inside of the peppers a bit or used some other technique to tone down the heat.

Either way: Nom Nom, just not over the top hot which is what I expected from the Chocolate Bhutlah.

In fact, I did.  Bottle actually.  It had my name on it.  Wife bought it for my son, who shares the first name: Andrew.  We seem to be saving it like a vintage bottle of wine.  So what joke did I miss?

Funny story.  Walking threw Walmart two years ago at Christmas time.  Child had opened candy on shelf and spilled it on the ground or something like that.  Didn't really see.  Was walking by when mother was scolding her, telling her what if Santa saw that.  Girl looked up, saw me and started crying hysterically.  I felt more like the grinch than santa.

ajdrew said:
In fact, I did.  Bottle actually.  It had my name on it.  Wife bought it for my son, who shares the first name: Andrew.  We seem to be saving it like a vintage bottle of wine.  So what joke did I miss?
I thought you said Andrew was your druid pseudonym. Or maybe AJ Drew was the pseudonym & your real name is Andrew.
PS- welcome back.

I should change in my profile.  I typed ajdrew for my sign in when I joined.  Display name should be A.J. Drew.  The A is my first initial: Andrew.

No, it is not a Druid pseudonyme.  It is my super hero name.  I applied for the name Fart Man but someone was already using that one.

P.S. Yes mommy let me out of the corner.

Luckydog - I should learn to use the company names.  I am sorry.  My taste came from Ebay.  A friend with more money than me had to buy it when he saw that proceeds were going to Wounded Warrior.  Since then, it is at the Puckerbutt official site.  It is pricey but again, I think the profit goes to a good cause.

http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/chocolate-plague-limited-edition

Redtail - Very good thing to mention.  I have tried to be sure to mention Mr. McLaurin's name when ever talkign about the pepper to make sure folk know I am talking about his line.  More now that I read the label on Chocolate Plague.  It does say that the hot sauce is a partnership between the two men, but a line on the label reads:

"Smokin’ Ed has a new pepper in his entourage–Chocolate Bhutlah"

I know it doesn't say Mr. Currie created the pepper.  But with most of the reviewers talking about how Mr. Currie knows how to make a great hot sauce, how Mr. Currie knows how to roast a pepper to bring out the flavor, and so on... I really would have liked something on the bottle about how Mr. McLaurin bred the pepper.

Not trashing on Mr. Currie at all.  Love his cooking.  But would like to see Mr. McLaurin praised as the developer more.  When I see Carolina Reaper products, they almost always seem to mention that Mr. Currie created the pepper.

ajdrew said:
Redtail - Very good thing to mention.  I have tried to be sure to mention Mr. McLaurin's name when ever talkign about the pepper to make sure folk know I am talking about his line.  More now that I read the label on Chocolate Plague.  It does say that the hot sauce is a partnership between the two men, but a line on the label reads:

"Smokin’ Ed has a new pepper in his entourage–Chocolate Bhutlah"

I know it doesn't say Mr. Currie created the pepper.  But with most of the reviewers talking about how Mr. Currie knows how to make a great hot sauce, how Mr. Currie knows how to roast a pepper to bring out the flavor, and so on... I really would have liked something on the bottle about how Mr. McLaurin bred the pepper.

Not trashing on Mr. Currie at all.  Love his cooking.  But would like to see Mr. McLaurin praised as the developer more.  When I see Carolina Reaper products, they almost always seem to mention that Mr. Currie created the pepper.

This is true but I don't think the label is large enough to include the entire back story of Steven's pepper. Steven (standbyandfire) is a very good friend of mine and I know he has full confidence in Ed's production of the sauce. He had plenty of input in the sauce, label, etc., if he wanted to have more written on the label, I'm sure he would have.

Redtail, its probably just me.  Nothing against Ed Currie when I say Puckerbutt Pepper Company has become so successful that it has lost my favor.  I am happy for Mr. Currie.  I am happy for all the people he employs.  I am happy for the boost to the economy he brings, the taxes he pays, the research for cancer, the donations to Wounded Warrior.  But I am more of a mom and pop sort of consumer.

I don't know your friend's backstore, but he presents himself as blue collar / no collar working class type.  People like me need success stories from folk like that.  I -think- I read Mr. Currie is a former banker.  Nothing against him, but I don't need more banker made good stories.  I need the working man made good stories.  So I root for blue collar and even more for no collar types.

Side note: I think I read your friend is either military or former military.  If so, pleae tell him I thank him for his service.

Back