• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Scorpion

So this is how all of my Chocolate Scorpions ripened this year.  It is most likely a cross, but I saved some seeds and we'll see how they turn out next year.  The flavor was pretty decent, a little "grassy" with plenty of heat.

IMG_20130923_235032_451_zpsaa2edd6f.jpg

I left them on the plant for almost three weeks after they turned "mustard."  I kept waiting for them to turn to the chocolate I was expecting.  I thought "ooh, they are starting to turn!" and then I just waited.  That picture was also after they were sitting in a bowl on my counter for a week too.  Definitely not turning chocolate.

My reapers took over a month for the first batch to ripen. After that they ripened much quicker. Not sure it helps but that was my overall experuence with all my plants.
As nigel once told me ..... patience

My chocolate Scorps looked much like yours, but went on to ripen to a deep chocolate, but since the weather has cooled down and our frost date is close many of my chocolate colored pepper pods are not turning chocolate and have more green in them. 

I decided to overwinter the plant for kicks and giggles.   If it is a cross I woud love to get it stabilized.  We'll see how the parent compares to the offspring next year.

Back