• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Clay vs. Plastic

I've done some research into this and have a pretty good grasp on the pros and cons of each. But most of the time the potted plants that were discussed in this debate were non-vegetable.

What I'm interested in knowing is what all the hot pepper growers are using. Also has anybody noticed healthier and more productive plants in clay? Last year I had some very nice cayenne plants in plastic pots. This year I have some Habs, Bonnets and a few others. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to clay.

no real difference unless your talking about unglazed terracotta - it seeps a little. I think its more about the mix inside the pot & drainage....pepper plants don't like wet feet.
I suppose there would be a heat retention aspect to it by way of maybe cooking the roots earlier in plastic on a hot day, or ceramic holding warmth longer into the night. I think though that'd be a negligible difference.

My $0.02

I'd go for plastic everytime. The only bonuses (that dosen't look right) I can see to clay is that it looks nice when the pots are new, not so much when they get grubby. The other one is that it is harder for naughty dogs to drag the plants across the garden because of the weight.

As for just the plain over all thing I've found is water. I have to water the clay pots almost every day because the pot causes the dirt to dry out extremely fast. Clay pots (unless you are growing cacti) are a pain in the ass.

I've got both. True the clay dries out faster and the roots get more air to them. The clay pots are easier to level off in your yard. If the pot doesn't sit level put some weight on the opposite side till it looks level. You can't do that with plastic.

Back