• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Clay's 2014 Grow Extravaganza. 10 varieties under 400w MH

Quick back round on my chili growing experience. I have grown for one season before now.
Last year I have 2 Fresno chilies and 1 Jalapeno in a 6" raised bed and 1 Thai Hot in a container.
Late freeze stunted my plants and then they got cooked because of bed placement and 100+ temps. I was able to manipulate the location of my Thai and it did great!.. until some heartless person stole it from my front yard.
So this year containers it is(inside my wooden fenced back yard).
1/10/14
I started in a tray with fertilome ultimate and sowed Anaheim, Poblano, Habenero, Thai Hot, Tobasco, Jalapeno, Sweet Hungarian Yellow Wax, Green Hatch, Bolivian Rainbow, and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion.
This is from today... 2/1/14

photo hosting
All of the seedlings are in fertilome African violet with a 1/4 of the recommended dose of biotone starter plus(a 1/4 of .75 TBSP per Quart)... now don't worry I checked the website and fertilome ultimate is the EXACT same thing as fertilome African violet. They are both basically a soiless mix having almost no nutrients.
After they are roughly 6" tall I will go into 3 gallon containers with 3 parts Fox Farm Ocean Forest and 1 part mix of perlite and vermiculite.
I got FFOF for $15 a bag which is a great deal so I definitely had to go with it.
Do you think my seedings will be good in that mix until they are 6" tall. Was a 1/4 strength of fert enough to get them there or will I have to feed again before transplanting?
I plan on potting up to 5 gallon later. I am obviously going to have to narrow down my plants. I only have enough soil for 60 gallons.

imgurl
I did the recommended dose of Biotone Starter Plus with this one to see if it would get burnt or not.
They are currently under a 400watt MH and I still have my heating mat on because its cold in that room and the ambient temp after the light and heater is about 80-85*F and my soil is ~80*F. Doesn't that sound good for now?
Is that good growth for 3 weeks? Half of my chilis are starting there 3rd and 4th true leaves(although on most of them it is very very tiny).
Any suggestions for a new chili grower?
Should I go from these to 3 gallons then to 5?
On watering?
Feeding?
I really want to have a productive season this year because I have already invested over $100 and last year was devastating. THanks!

That's just not right!!! Your first post and you've already figured out how to grow peppers sideways! Ha! Welcome aboard and good luck on your grow! 

P.S. You should go over to the Welcome section and introduce yourself!!!

Thanks.
Ok so yesterday I top dressed the front row with a full dose of fertilizer and the middle with enough to bring it up to a 1/2 dose... so we will see what happens. They are growing fast  but the anaheims and poblanos had bigger leaves any were started on there second but I figured they could be a little bit more lush green. The fertilizer is time release so we'll see.

Quite a start! I think the ocean forest will hold you for awhile. Kind of counting on it actually... Didn't add any ferts to mine, using the ocean forest and actually hoping that gets me to plant out.

You're going for indoor pods though so you'll need to add something for sure. Last year I used grow big and tiger bloom, but I think grow big especially was too nitrogen heavy. Hard to find the right cutoff. Temps look great!

Yeah right now I'm in something that isn't fertilized so I had to add a little but once they outgrow their 4" pots and go to 1gallon or 3 gallon(haven't decided yet) with FFOcean Forest they will just get water, then one more pot up and more water until they fill out that container...

Once they are in the fruiting stage what organic fert can I give them that has sufficient P?

Ok so I got a little bit of the FFOF Grow Big... some of my plants, especially the jalapeno needed some nutrients... you can see the jalapeno stretched a bit and maybe the sweet Hungarian did too... Idk I would like to have my light closer as of now its at about 14"... but when it was 11" it sun tanned my plants a little I think.

What do yall think?

Nice plants. I wouldnt push it with the light. I think your plants are close enough to the light. The plants are still seedlings you dont want to fry them.

Back