• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cleaning old pots

Yes, it most definitely is. If you're really concerned, you can scrub them with 10% clorox, and then rinse them well with cold water. If you're worried about leftover clorox residue after rinsing them, stick them in the sun. Sunlight will deactivate the Sodium hypoclorite.

Good question. I have to start using some old pots as I ran out of the new ones I got. Who would have thought I would have 100 sprouts.

We use dish soap and 10% bleach on the pots we got used, most of our own we know have not had any diseased plants so just reuse them without washing unless they are really dirty.

Bleach is pretty cheap...espcially for a 10% solution.It's worth the money for me with all the nasty's in our soil.

My dad dumped some cigarette butts in a pot from last year. Will dishsoap kill tobacco mosiac if it's there or would I need bleach. I'm just a little hesitant to use it since it's so corrosive.

I use a watered down bleach mix and soak for at least 20mins then rinse really well. I also work at a plant nursery and all their pots must be soaked in bleach and then rinsed before use. So to be on the safe side if you are going to go to the trouble of washing them then you might as well use bleach also.

imaguitargod said:
Plastic does not like boiling water :lol:

They'll hold up for a few minutes dude. I didnt mean leave them in there for hours on end you know. Besides, whats the melting point of plastic versus the boiling point of water?

chillilover said:
How do you guys pour the bleach into little spray bottles? Also how bad is 10% bleach? Will it burn my hands?

I fill up the laundry sink and soak them in there or in a large bucket if I'm not doing many. My hands usually get a bit dry or itchy but if you wear gloves you'll be fine.

I get a good sized bucket, put water, dishsoap and bleach in it. I use a big bottle brush to scrub the pots well, rinse and let dry in the sun.

Back