• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Clone Fade

th-18.jpeg
 !      :onfire:

After giving more thought to what KrakenPeppers is saying, I could see where there may be some substance to this "loss of vigor". The recent research I mentioned earlier indicated that the clones still carry the original cell clock of the mother. Since peppers tend to taper off fruit production with age, there's no reason not to conclude their successive clones would not exhibit this trait. So they may be losing core structure, but not for the reasons cited of "losing" DNA due to cloning, but rather just because they are old, tired, and degraded in DNA because of their age.

I'm still hanging on to my Dewey Mister cloning station though. It's a nice tool in the arsenal to have.

I broke a main stem on tomato plant few weeks back, but it stayed connected like a 90 degree hinge. I've mended them in the past with a brace, but this one never healed, it was doing fine it just stayed "hinged". So I ripped it up and clipped it at an angle just above the wound, then shoved it right back into the ground. It took off and is doing great, the question is... Is this a clone?

Maddog, I do believe it is what folk call a clone.  My hybrid blackberry will root anywhere they touch the ground, then the original stem dies and it is an entirely new plant.  Fairly sure those have identical dna too.

ajdrew said:
Maddog, I do believe it is what folk call a clone.  My hybrid blackberry will root anywhere they touch the ground, then the original stem dies and it is an entirely new plant.  Fairly sure those have identical dna too.

That's exactly how berry farm nurseries do it. I knew a farmer in Napa who sold thousands of berry cuttings a year (raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry). He grew Superhots and orange Manzano too, and sold them on craiglist. Sadly he sold the farm and moved last year.

MadDog said:
After giving more thought to what KrakenPeppers is saying, I could see where there may be some substance to this "loss of vigor". The recent research I mentioned earlier indicated that the clones still carry the original cell clock of the mother. Since peppers tend to taper off fruit production with age, there's no reason not to conclude their successive clones would not exhibit this trait. So they may be losing core structure, but not for the reasons cited of "losing" DNA due to cloning, but rather just because they are old, tired, and degraded in DNA because of their age.

I'm still hanging on to my Dewey Mister cloning station though. It's a nice tool in the arsenal to have.

I broke a main stem on tomato plant few weeks back, but it stayed connected like a 90 degree hinge. I've mended them in the past with a brace, but this one never healed, it was doing fine it just stayed "hinged". So I ripped it up and clipped it at an angle just above the wound, then shoved it right back into the ground. It took off and is doing great, the question is... Is this a clone?
Here's the issue with 'clone fade' the way I see it.. A human being gets old and dies due to its internal DNA not telling the rest of it to regenerate.

A plant does not have this issue "completely " as it has the ability to regenerate new Limbs/branches or even roots etc.
if you where to take a plants branch and clone from it you are taking newly created genetic matter that should be free of any internal body clock as that only existed on the original plants core trunk.. A plant will only die when the plants core begins to break down with age as it stops circulating its nutrients around its system.. So in theory the branch should have from its creation date that new life span ... It would be like saying a plant is about to die its at its life end .. You clone one of its fresh new branches only 2 months old.. The plant dies a few months later of pure age .. You wouldn't expect the fresh limb that's been cleaned to keel over just because it's original body did

KrakenPeppers said:
it you are taking newly created genetic matter that should be free of any internal body clock as that only existed on the original plants core trunk..
Why should it be free of the internal clock if the clock mechanism is encoded at the genetic level? I am trying to throw you an olive leaf branch of a branch here. I will try to find the recent research I was told about.

The pointy heads say there is no clone fade... http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov2001/1005196555.Bt.r.html

I found this other fascinating post at their site here... http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2002-04/1019349924.Bt.r.html

I think I'm going to foliar spray telomeraser enzymes on my clones just to be safe until we can get this worked out.

It would be free of the clock as its just been grown... Humans can't be free of it because ALL limbs age from the moment of birth so to speak.. A brand new limb of a plant isn't 5 years old

Back