• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning peppers?

I have an amazing pepper plant that has stood out from the rest of my plants this year and am interested in hanging onto it's genetics. With it being so close to my other plants I am guessing the peppers it has have most likely cross pollinated with its neighbors.

My growing year is also coming to a close, so I've ran out of time to manually isolate a bloom and ensure self pollination and getting isolated seeds.

I've had some experience in rooting plant cuttings but haven't done any type of cloning with superhots.

Anyone have good luck with cloning super hots?Any tips other than the usual cloning procedure?

For me it's been hit or miss.

I tried several rooting powders.Root tone,Shultz and a liquid rooting compound.
The guy at the nursery said different plants react to different stuff.
I had no results with any of the rooting stuff until I read that the stuff people used most had several different hormones in them.
I read the HIGH end stuffs ingredients and ended up mixing them together and the mix worked.
I did add super thrive to the water(super thrive by itself didn't work for me).

I use an airstone in a 7 11 big gulp cup.
Just stick the cutting in the straw hole.Air hose in another hole in the top.
Put a lot of them in a milk crate.When rooted I just rip the cover to get the roots out.

I have a couple 5 gal. buckets that are set up for cloning but the big gulps take less room and my air pump runs a bunch of them.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

I've soil cloned in the past with up to a 90% success rate so since I'm familiar with that method it will most likely be what I try initially.

My basic method is to remove a growth shoot from the plant and cut to length (3-4" total length) under water at a 45 degree angle. I have used Schultz rooting gel with good results and often score the stem in 2-3 places to promote root propagation. I use a semi moist mix of seedling soil/perilite/vermiculite at an even 1/3 ratio. When planting I plant approx 1" deep in a pre-formed hole (I use a bamboo skewer). When planting I am always sure to keep the 45 degree cut end from pressing into the soil and stabilize the cutting by tamping it around the base rather than stabbing it in.

Usually a week or two in a humidome produces roots. I try to refrain from heavy foliar misting and simply mist the inside of the clear dome. One thing I like to do is use a clear cup inserted a white cup so I can keep tabs on root growth by simply lifting the clear cup out and taking a peek.

Does my proceedure sound solid?

I clone chiles all the time. Simplest is to cut off an axillary branch and put it in water  with nothing but water. Keep the water clean.

willard3 said:
I clone chiles all the time. Simplest is to cut off an axillary branch and put it in water  with nothing but water. Keep the water clean.

I successfully cloned a couple of Scorpions this way earlier this year and I have some Monzanos in a jar of water now.

That's a really cool setup!

I already have a pump and some buckets from my gold panning sluice setup I could use. I think I've got some experimenting to do :)

thanks!

I have a nursery where I grow and sell Hibiscus and Bougainvillea. I've tried every high tech trick under the sun to root cuttings and almost all of them work wonderfully well.
Now days, I take my cutting, cut a 45 degree cut across the bottom, scrape the last couple of inches of stem just enough to wound the bark, and put it in Dip and Grow rooting hormone for a few seconds. I then put it in a 2.5in pot of potting mix and water well every day for a few days, then start watering every other day. Almost everything, including pepper cuttings do well this way.
Keep it simple, and you will be rewarded.

Jeff H said:

I successfully cloned a couple of Scorpions this way earlier this year and I have some Monzanos in a jar of water now.
my concern for this as well as hells bells method is the cutting growing water roots that won't take when moved to soil. I've battled this issue time and time again. roots do great in water, but as soon as I move them to soil they are as good as dead. I also have used clone x with horrible results on peppers.

thismembername said:
my concern for this as well as hells bells method is the cutting growing water roots that won't take when moved to soil. I've battled this issue time and time again. roots do great in water, but as soon as I move them to soil they are as good as dead. I also have used clone x with horrible results on peppers.
I don't have a concern with the water rooting... it would be a completely new process for me. Kind of intriguing...

I personally am familiar with soil cloning. In my research I have read that water roots do sometimes have a hard time transplanting to soil. Lots of variables could contribute to that tho.

i have done a ton of morugas with some gel  putting them in rockwool plugs and just putting the plugs in my aero garden . 100% success rate so far

I've cloned in water, soil, pure perlite and I didn't see any problem in these methods. The only real difference is that you don't need to cover the cuttings when rooting in water. Also the success rate depends on the species and cultivar. It seems to me that baccatums tend to root best, followed by pubescenses and chinenses. I always have problem with c. frutescens, but I didn't try to root purrira wich is the most vigorous cultivar of these species i know of.

One thing i noticed is that the best result come from semi-wooden branches, the fatter the better. It's probably because the bigger "storage space" these branches have, so they can use more nutrients to rebuid their missing organs. That's why they can recreate a root sistem and new  branches in perlite. Interestly, I find that this branches do better in soil and perlite mixed than water.

One thing I don't bother with is the speed the cutting root. I do believe that hydroponics are a more efficient and faster way to root cuttings, but I'm just happy with the way I'm doing it. Of course, if you take cutting in spring is better to do it fast so the cutting have more time do make peppers.

Now I'm trying to root 3 branches of c. chacoense in a cup of water, after a week everything seems going OK.

I have a question - did someone try to root branches (twigs) without leaves and with what success? I'm cloning my only reaper and I'm trying to do as much as I can, so I want to see if I can use everything to try an make a new plant. Some time ago I did get roots from a little piece of branch from a NuMex Suave without leaves, under a humidity dome in perlite with rooting hormone.

Can this  be done as the "twig in water" method or something else?

Back