clump-free pepper powder?

twilliams386 said:
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/tommy_williams10/Mobile%20Uploads/download2_zps6c18532e.jpg

This is what I'm working with. Not bad, just not right for This purpose
Hahaha dammit y'all know exactly what I mean.
I could only see the link, but not the pic, is this it?

I use the ribus stuff in my season salts, blends and rubs as well, it works fantastic.
But for just the powders being stored before they go into shakers I just seal them in mason jars and such.
Lotsa cool ideas in this thread, mega-props ya'll!

2Goats said:
I could only see the link, but not the pic, is this it?
I use the ribus stuff in my season salts, blends and rubs as well, it works fantastic.
But for just the powders being stored before they go into shakers I just seal them in mason jars and such.
Lotsa cool ideas in this thread, mega-props ya'll!
That's the one. Not sure why it didn't show up.
I may have to look into the ribus stuff, I'm hoping to make a lot of powder later this year

Scoville DeVille said:
It's basically ground organic rice. You can't use too much. I love it.
Just click on the link I posted and check it out.
So I had to bump this, I made more powder today. The morugas weren't completely crisp, but I figured I'd grind em up and see what happens. I threw a teaspoon of rice in the grinder with them. The result sort of resembles Brown sugar in moisture and texture. Could I still keep and use this or would it spoil?

You can further dry out the powder.  If you don't have plastic fruit leather trays for the dehydrator, make little trays out of foil and dry it a bit more. 

Sounds like you used a bit too much rice.  I *think* the ratio of rice powder to other stuff is like 2%.  I can't remember, Scovie can probably answer that. 

salsalady said:
You can further dry out the powder.  If you don't have plastic fruit leather trays for the dehydrator, make little trays out of foil and dry it a bit more. 

Sounds like you used a bit too much rice.  I *think* the ratio of rice powder to other stuff is like 2%.  I can't remember, Scovie can probably answer that.
I probably did get carried away with rice, but not sure of actual measurement, just threw a pinch or two in.
I was actually wondering if I could keep drying it, the circulation wouldn't blow the powder everywhere? I almost put it back in, but dreaded the thought of my precious powder being wasted. That and the texture I had was intriguing, just didn't know if it would keep or not

If there's a bit too much moisture and it goes into a sealed jar, there's a possibility of spoilage.  I don't have a clue what the %moisture would be for that.  I'll leave that to the experts of that area.  :)

For drying and blowing all the goods away.....
You can accomplish the goal by having the powder in a flat tray and cover with something like very fine cheesecloth, a dish towel or paper towels.  The goal being to protect the powder from the breeze and allowing the air to circulate over the powder removing more moisture. 

What I do is dehyrate the pods until they are cracker dry. Then I'll save the dried pods or powders in mason jars sealed with one of these http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H. I've seen where others have said the narrow mouth type attachment needs an extra lid placed on top when sealing. I've used the wide mouth size and never had any problems.

For powders I'll put what I'm going to use immediately in a spice shaker, then vacuum seal the rest. Whenever I need more I take some out and reseal the jar. The vacuum sealing will prevent moisture from getting back into the powder or pods.

twilliams386 said:
I probably did get carried away with rice, but not sure of actual measurement, just threw a pinch or two in.
I was actually wondering if I could keep drying it, the circulation wouldn't blow the powder everywhere? I almost put it back in, but dreaded the thought of my precious powder being wasted. That and the texture I had was intriguing, just didn't know if it would keep or not
You can put the open jar of powder in your oven at 180-200 degrees for maybe an hour and then put the lid back on while it's still hot. Added bonus is the vacuum seal when it cools.

Scoville DeVille said:
Make sure it is DRY>

I use this: http://www.ribus.com/nu-flow

It's basically powdered rice, designed as an anti caking agent for spice blends. I love it because you can not use too much.
This looks interesting! The literature suggests that it's the silica content of rice hulls that make the difference.

twilliams386 said:
So I had to bump this, I made more powder today. The morugas weren't completely crisp, but I figured I'd grind em up and see what happens. I threw a teaspoon of rice in the grinder with them. The result sort of resembles Brown sugar in moisture and texture. Could I still keep and use this or would it spoil?
I'm worried that the substitution of rice -- not rice hulls -- might be a problem. I've never tried either.

I've also never tried to dry peppers that have a visible display of capsaicin oil inside, in order to grind them to powder. Would the oil in the morugas be enough to cause some caking of the powder? Also, how do you know when a superhot is devoid of moisture, if it has enough oil content to be leathery when fully dried?

I'm asking questions, owing to my own ignorance, because i find this thread highly informative. Thanks for starting this one,Twiliams386!

Some of the chiles I make powder with like New Mexicos and Pasilla Anchos, are very leathery like fruit leather. They powder just fine but it packs together and is not "shakable" out of a shaker. I would say that if you dry your peppers to the point where they shatter when you pinch them, that's too dry. IMO, Ultimately you want all of the water gone but the oils remaining. You will lose some of the heat (and flavor) if the oils are broke down from drying.

I make a chile powder that contains 5 kinds of chiles, homemade garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, etc. all are oil rich and sticky. I swear by the Nu-Flow.
SalsaLady gave me some because I was looking for an anti caking agent. I would happily share some with you but I myself am running low.

Scoville DeVille said:
Some of the chiles I make powder with like New Mexicos and Pasilla Anchos, are very leathery like fruit leather. They powder just fine but it packs together and is not "shakable" out of a shaker. I would say that if you dry your peppers to the point where they shatter when you pinch them, that's too dry. IMO, Ultimately you want all of the water gone but the oils remaining. You will lose some of the heat (and flavor) if the oils are broke down from drying.

I make a chile powder that contains 5 kinds of chiles, homemade garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, etc. all are oil rich and sticky. I swear by the Nu-Flow.
SalsaLady gave me some because I was looking for an anti caking agent. I would happily share some with you but I myself am running low.

Me thinks we need some samples of this here powder. Sounds like something I need in my tacos tonight. All I got left is reaper and paper lantern powder. not sure which i'm going to use. Normally I prefer to smoke my peppers before I dehydrate them but these flakes was given to me as a gift. 

Scoville DeVille said:
How much did I give you and how long ago was that?  What was the recommended ratio, something like 1-2%?  It seemed like a little would go a very long ways.

I still have some and I'm considering getting more to offer it for sale like the Shrink Bands.  Just to make it available in small quantities.  Anyone interested?  No idea of costs, etc~ 

Scovie, I can probably hook you up with more in the meantime.....but it'll cost you some Scovie Powder!  :dance:

I freely admit to using blackmail to get some Scovie Powder.  :halo: :D

I have owed Husker some of my Scovie powder for about a year, so get in line y'all!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I am good SL, I just don't have enough to share. That is a fantastic idea tho, for you to offer it. The average person would only need about a Cup per year.

Quote:
Use rate is 0.25% - 3% (1:1 replacer for Si02)
There is no maximum use rate
Use necessary amount to achieve desired flow rate
Shelf life is 2 years

Scoville DeVille said:
I have owed Husker some of my Scovie powder for about a year, so get in line y'all!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

yea, but I can have Evan create a diversion while I jack some out of your cupboard!  :razz:  :lol:

Wow guys thank y'all for all your help on this one! SL I would definitely buy some if you started selling it. And your re dehydrate advice worked! Covered it with a paper towel for another day in the dehydrator at 95 and it has great flow now.

I haven't even started to think about how to make sauces and such yet, so most of my produce goes to powder

Scoville DeVille said:
Did not even think about that. I guess I've been over-drying for a while now. It explains why my powders are not as hot as I expect but I like the hint of  "dark roasted coffee" flavor i get when I oven roast them past dry.

Back