• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

CMPMAN1974 - Non-Peppers - 2010 Season

A few really gorgeous tomatoes I'm trying this year for the first time. I'm looking forward to salsa time this week! The fuzzy red boar one is wild. It has the exacty texture / feel of a peach and the look of one. It tricked my four year old daughter even.

Chris

P1080811.jpg

P1080810.jpg

P1080809.jpg

P1080812.jpg

This Chile Verde tomato is pretty neat looking. Reisotomate is the oddest thing I've ever seen. The tomato pulls apart into clusters of cherry tomatoes!! Freak of nature. The last one is shaped identical to a bell pepper and hollow. Perfect stuffin' tomato!

Chris

P1080839.jpg

P1080838.jpg

P1080841.jpg

I have tasted Reisetomate. I'm not a huge fan of fresh tomatoes and enjoy them more in salsas and recipes so it's hard for the determine the best quality like some people can. That's why I don't go crazy growing endless plants of them. :) I have to say Reisetomate actually tasted good fresh and my buddy who really likes fresh tomatoes enjoys it too.

Chris

Hi Chris, I grew two varieties that I got from a Canadian grower, the smallest was called San Fransico Fog, and a very large one called Portuguese Monster, San Fransico Fog has small very sweet tomatoes that was developed for cool wet nights, it did pretty good for me, I actualy liked it better than my red cherry tomatoes, The Portuguese Monster is just that, I got eight tomatoes off this one plant all were over a pound and two were close to three pounds.
BTW great photo's as usual, I just wish I had a camera handy.
George W.

Ciao Chris-

I'm so glad you had such a successful season! I think most of us really benefited from the hotter, drier conditions. I love the furry and stripey tomatoes, too and try to grow a couple every year. The Roughwood Golden Tiger has excellent flavour. I really like that one a lot. I also like that the angora gene is expressed in the entire plant, not just the fruit. The leaves are also very uniquely shaped. I think you may have gotten a few of those varieties from me, so that's kind of fun for me to see how they did for you. White Oxheart is a good choice for mild, sweeter salsas to have with fish and seafood. I've made a very tasty Portuguese mussel stew using White Oxheart also. I'd love to try the Chile Verde tomato! Did you save seeds from it? I grew Anna Hermann and Yellow Stuffer this year, both very nice hollow stuffing tomatoes with a nice flavour in their own right.

Back