• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Coco fiber/coir as a seed starting mix

Does anyone use straight coco coir(have some left over from pet substrate) for a seed starting sub? I'm raising some from plastic bags and was wondering if they can be kept in just coco coir (with maybe some peat) until they grow some true leaves. Thanks!

Only thing is, I had bought some miracle gro seed starting mix, but it had come damaged so I'm only left with coco fiber right now. I do have PROMIX HP for their 'adult' substrate, but don't really have much else sadly. Would they be able to survive at least in the coco fiber?
I was also going to transplant them in 2 oz condiment cups and then into a solo cup once they grow their adult leaves

InsectMan said:
Only thing is, I had bought some miracle gro seed starting mix, but it had come damaged so I'm only left with coco fiber right now. I do have PROMIX HP for their 'adult' substrate, but don't really have much else sadly. Would they be able to survive at least in the coco fiber?
I was also going to transplant them in 2 oz condiment cups and then into a solo cup once they grow their adult leaves

Pure coco coir doenst have any nutrition in it. So if you start seeds in coco coir they will survive for the initial grow stage, but soon you have to give them some nutrition mixed in the water or something like that.

Chilidude said:

Pure coco coir doenst have any nutrition in it. So if you start seeds in coco coir they will survive for the initial grow stage, but soon you have to give them some nutrition mixed in the water or something like that.
When will I need to start giving nutrition? I was told they're fine up until the sprout their new leaves and then transplant them into the substrate they'll be in for the remainder of their lives.

In the past I have started some seeds in coco coir but its a very temporary solution.

You may be able to keep it up if you add diluted fertilizer

BurnTtongue said:
In the past I have started some seeds in coco coir but its a very temporary solution.

You may be able to keep it up if you add diluted fertilizer
How long was very temporary for you? I was maybe thinking for a few days to a week? Or until hey sprout their new leaves

InsectMan said:
When will I need to start giving nutrition? I was told they're fine up until the sprout their new leaves and then transplant them into the substrate they'll be in for the remainder of their lives.

I usually start giving then mild hydroponic fertilizer mixed in the water, when the seedlings stems goes straight and the leaves spreat out.

Chilidude said:

I usually start giving then mild hydroponic fertilizer mixed in the water, when the seedlings stems goes straight and the leaves spreat out.
Gotcha! When do you usually transplant them into non-seed starting substrate?

InsectMan said:
How long was very temporary for you? I was maybe thinking for a few days to a week? Or until hey sprout their new leaves

They can stay there as long as you can give them proper nutrition to sustain healthy grow.

InsectMan said:
Gotcha! When do you usually transplant them into non-seed starting substrate?

It depends, usually in week or two after they start growing their first true leaves and the roots start coming out of the rockwool, then i move the plants to small pots containing coco coir.

Chilidude said:

They can stay there as long as you can give them proper nutrition to sustain healthy grow.
Gotcha. I was just thinking about keeping them in the coir until they sprout new leaves and then transplant them into the Promix sub (which has some fert) and then just add fertilizer in. Would this work in your opinion?

InsectMan said:
Gotcha. I was just thinking about keeping them in the coir until they sprout new leaves and then transplant them into the Promix sub (which has some fert) and then just add fertilizer in. Would this work in your opinion?

The seed itself should contain all the nutrition needed to make the plant grow it's first true leaves, but i have never waited that far to see if it is true or not before adding some form of fertilizer.

I found this in the internet:

Any liquid fertilizer, as long as it is well-balanced with nutrients, will work fine IF you dilute it to at least half strength. No stronger. Common recommendation is feeding with 1/4-1/2 strength fert no more than 1x a week.

So like the above text says, use some well balanced liquid fertilizer to water the plants in the coco coir before translanting them to the final soilmix just to make sure they will make it.

InsectMan said:
About 5 days, once the primary leaves are grown I wold start adding nutrients. In theory u can keep it going indefinitely but in practice, I'm not sure.

I normally let it sprout there and transfer it to potting soil within 5 days, the added nutrients should give u some more time in the choir

Allot of people use just cococore, then transfer it in regular soil, the roots would extend the coco by then, I think their was an old thread about this a while ago.

Coir is fine good starting seeds. I woild use diluted nutrient solution from the beginning. Something complete like dynagro fp or gh Lucas formula.

Btw u can use the promix for seed starting as well. No need to have a separate seed starting mix

juanitos said:
Coir is fine good starting seeds. I woild use diluted nutrient solution from the beginning. Something complete like dynagro fp or gh Lucas formula.

Btw u can use the promix for seed starting as well. No need to have a separate seed starting mix
How diluted should it be? And how often should I fertilize the plant when it's in the Promix?

InsectMan said:
How diluted should it be? And how often should I fertilize the plant when it's in the Promix?
1/2 or even 1/4 strength. there isn't really a study that says exactly what level everything should be at. it depends on your nutrients blend / composition so is hard to give a standard answer. generally the 1/2 strength will be just fine though.
Treat it like hydroponic medium. use nutrient solution every watering.

Back