• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

cold front coming, what to do?

So the first actual cold front of the season is coming tomorrow night and I'm wondering if I should worry. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s (south tx cold front for ya) I have my moruga, ghost scorpion, and new Mexico 6-4L all outside in containers getting direct sun until about 1pm. They all have about 2 dozen pods waiting to get ripe. Should I position them to get more Sun, move them into the drafty garage, bring them inside, or let them tough it out? Winds will be in the 20s and there's a little rain forecasted. All help is appreciated!

I'm in the same boat. I'm just going to let them ride it out and see who's left standing. My habaneros stay outside all yr and they have lived for 3 Yrs. I think we only have to worry if it's going below zero or frosting.

Just protect them from frost with a cover. That's what I'll be doing. Got tons of flowers on my yellow scorps and fataliis that I don't want to lose. I'll be bringing my plumerias and lemon tree inside

Ok thanks y'all, good to know. Will the temp drop effect the heat of the peppers? I brought one of my morugas to work the other day and had about 4 of us ready to curl up and die. Don't wanna lose that intensity, for some deranged reason.

twilliams386 said:
Ok thanks y'all, good to know. Will the temp drop effect the heat of the peppers? I brought one of my morugas to work the other day and had about 4 of us ready to curl up and die. Don't wanna lose that intensity, for some deranged reason.
Hey twiliams386...I'm just north of ya bout 25 miles.  The temp drop won't immediately effect the pepper's heat per se, but as the season winds down (and this is just the beginning of winding down for us) the peppers that haven't reached maturity will slow down and likely not develop to their full potential.  

As the temps appoach the lower 40's down here, I begin to move my potted plants onto the covered patio adjoining the house for protection and added warmth.   If we are to get a frost or light freeze, I cover them right where they are (patio adjoining the house)  with blankets/sheets the night before the predicted freeze/frost. Additionally, my patio faces South which helps protect from North wind damage.     

IMO, do everything you can to increase sun exposure.  More sun = more resources the plant can devote to the pods.
Also, arrange the containers to catch as much AM sun as possible in order to warm the chilly soil and roots more quickly.

Agree that lows in the 40s are no biggie.

Wind can be tough on big, mature plants.  Maybe buy a few cheap wire tomato cages for support.  Also make sure the entire container can't easily blow over, smashing branches, leaves and pods to bits...

Back